Completely new to watches

Spoofo9t9

I have always had somewhat of an interest in wrist watches, but just recently I have been interested in working on them. I have a question and I don't know which forum to post it in. I wanted to know if I should buy new cheap chinese movements as sacrifices to learn on or if I want to try to get older movements?

Thanks

• Like 1

Welcome here... I am new as well.

Maybe you don't have to buy Chinese movements, maybe friends or family have broken watches in they're house they wan't to give to you?

For example, my father gave me 5 pocket watches from around 1900, all not compleet, not that expansive, but I guess great to learn on because the parts are bigger than wrist watches.

• Thanks 1

Welcome to the forum and we hope you enjoy being here.    It all depends on how far you wish to go in to the watch repairing . The thing to do is practise and best to do it on watches that are not expensive and if turned to toast get written off as experiance, So having said all that get on  e-bay and pick up some russian watches for a pound or two, get some decent tools not too cheap and get stuck in. There are sites like Gleave & co and cousins.uk who have tech sheets on a lot of watches.   And to quote Del boy " the world is your muscle"

• Thanks 1