Spoofo9t9

Completely new to watches

I have always had somewhat of an interest in wrist watches, but just recently I have been interested in working on them. I have a question and I don't know which forum to post it in. I wanted to know if I should buy new cheap chinese movements as sacrifices to learn on or if I want to try to get older movements?

Thanks

Welcome here... I am new as well.

Maybe you don't have to buy Chinese movements, maybe friends or family have broken watches in they're house they wan't to give to you?

For example, my father gave me 5 pocket watches from around 1900, all not compleet, not that expansive, but I guess great to learn on because the parts are bigger than wrist watches.

Welcome to the forum and we hope you enjoy being here.    It all depends on how far you wish to go in to the watch repairing . The thing to do is practise and best to do it on watches that are not expensive and if turned to toast get written off as experiance, So having said all that get on  e-bay and pick up some russian watches for a pound or two, get some decent tools not too cheap and get stuck in. There are sites like Gleave & co and cousins.uk who have tech sheets on a lot of watches.   And to quote Del boy " the world is your muscle"

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Topics

• Wow thats interesting I have a bag of flakes as well. BUM
    • Shellac is never useless Mark . From small drawers to large antique cabinets it's a lovely and rewarding material to work with.  Yes, there are many varieties of flaked shellac, from the most common raw which may even contain pitch, to low wax, to wax free, which is clearer and more resistant to humidity. To remove wax from shellac dilute in alcohol 50% leaving it a week, then seep with paper filters.
    • So keeping them in a small dry draw in a cabinet which is  dark works. 
    • Well that question got me googling... There is a lot of discussion about this on the ”interweb”, but mostly in relation to woodworking and nail polish! Shellac is a natural product, subjected to various purification processes prior to sale which have changed significantly over the years, so firstly, the shellac we buy today is likely to be much purer and more consistent than in the past. Shellac flakes sold for making wood finishes definitely deteriorate with age. After a period of time the can no longer be dissolved in alcohol. I haven’t found out exactly why, but moisture, heat and light are all cited as causes. So, keeping your flakes in a sealed dark container would be a good thing. Shellac in stick form will have a lower surface area for a given volume and therefore certainly less susceptible to moisture. Once mixed with alcohol, shellac will start to react chemically, (search for esterification if you want to know more), and evaporation of the alcohol doesn’t get you back to where you started. This is why pre-mixed shellac varnishes have a short shelf life. Shellac is chemically similar to acrylic, and hence made of long polymer chains. I’ve read conflicting information about whether these will cross-link in ultraviolet light (the process that causes unbreakable watch crystals to go yellow and brittle). However, I would expect it to behave in a similar way - again, this is a non reversible reaction. All of this may go some way to explain why some people reprt there is no problem with cleaning pallets in alcohol and others saying it softens the shellac. I’m now into this deep enough to need a good chemist to get me back out. Any volunteers?