Hi From Down Under

DrRock

Hi from Brisbane, Australia :)

I am a surgeon, and have a moderate collection of watches. After spending a lot of dollars over a long time on battery changes to minor repairs and cleaning, I finally figured that I ought to be able to learn to do the basics myself.

Let's face it - my occupation involves using instruments from large to micro, and I do need a very steady hand (which I have). I don't even drink coffee or other sources of caffeine, due to getting the micro-tremor that looks like an earthquake when trying to operate under the microscope! So I should be able to do my own battery changes and basic tweaks.  I hope ;)

I just posted a couple of Newbie Questions to the forum, but I suspect I posted them in the wrong section - I put them in the "Watch Repair Tutorials and Information" section, but I think they should be in the "Watch Repair Help and Advice" department. If the moderator is able to move the post, I would be most grateful. And any help or advice on those questions would also be much appreciated - thank you in advance.

So, pleased to "meet" you all, and grateful that there is such a wealth of help and learning to be had here :)

Pete, Brisbane (aka DrRock - don't even ask...) ;)

Welcome to to the helpful house of horology Pete. I liked your introduction, it's always good to get to know folk, and a good introduction always helps. I'm sure with your skills and delicate touch you'll soon be doing a lot more than just fitting batteries! :-)

And thanks for the welcome, Geo and Mark - much appreciated.

Now, for that pain, Mark, I think an amputation should suffice. Then you could simply give me the cold shoulder (sorry - typical surgeon's black humour there).

--
Pete, Brisbane
============

• Like 2

Mark - I've just watched your superb video on "How to service an automatic watch ETA 2824 Watch repair tutorial" and was enthralled by the delicate work and the knowledge you have of the various parts and movements.

I think I have a LONG way to go before I'd tackle something like that..!

One question - what camera do you use for these videos, and what lens? There are tack sharp close-up shots, and some at even higher magnification. Looks like almost as good resolution as the Nikon and Olympus operating microscopes I use at work.

Do you have the camera mounted on a tripod looking straight down on the work, or do you use a mirror?

Great stuff!

--
Pete, Brisbane
============

One question - what camera do you use for these videos, and what lens? There are tack sharp close-up shots, and some at even higher magnification. Looks like almost as good resolution as the Nikon and Olympus operating microscopes I use at work.

Do you have the camera mounted on a tripod looking straight down on the work, or do you use a mirror?

Canon 600D with 60mm macro lens pointing straight down on the workpiece. :)

Welcome to the forum Peter!

I also used to play -- and still do at times -- classical guitar. Very fond of the Smallman guitars from the first time John Williams showed his to me (or maybe us...in a master class!) a very, very long time ago. Only, never tinkered with the instruments myself.

Now, I'm an avid watchmaker hobbyist and following Mark's excellent videos which are like master classes in their own right.

If you are in the mood for some "web training", I'd recommend the timezone.com watch school and the free Seiko 7S26 on line class. They are like a base to really incorporate the wealth of knowledge in our forum...and don't forget Mark's videos as a complement while you are progressing through those.

Cheers,

Bob

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum's DrRock,  I have the greatest admiration and respect for the medical profession as they have saved my life more than once.  You will find watches to be a never ending interest which can be both frustrating, when a small part disappears into the black hole and very satisfying when you bring one back from the dead as in Marks latest video. 

• Like 1