Where's the Click?

Lawren5

I'm working on a Waltham 8 Days aircraft clock from WWII. It has dual mainsprings which are wound up. I need to unwind them before going any further but am unable to locate the click. It appears that any further disassembly will affect the drive train. Am I overlooking something obvious?

IMG_3617.thumb.JPG.f89db466d8b9691d3ab36086357e7a7b.JPGIMG_3618.thumb.JPG.06d4ee0389c22a6bb969fd1517d18dc6.JPG

Some of the older watches would have a leaver on the side near the winding mechanism. You would put some tension on the mainspring while depressing the leaver and then slowly release the mainspring. Need pictures of the side/edge of the movement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

Thanks, jdrichard. That led me to the click. The first photo shows the click which disappears in the second photo as the watch is wound.
Img_3623.thumb.jpg.18e20e52b12a9c1f8f2b5c6c99409790.jpg

IMG_3625.thumb.JPG.531389f3a20ce18888baf332d23ebcb2.JPG

No problem. I’m not a pro, but I have a lot of pocket watch repairs under my belt. Old Hippie OH is the pro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Looks like a Waltham CDIA aircraft clock.

I've got one sitting no more than 1 foot from me now waiting for me to clear some other projects before I work on it.

I've got the parts list and a diagram of parts, but its one of the few Waltham aircraft clocks I don't have an exploded diagram of.

I've got a small collection of WWII aircraft clocks and have in the post coming to me my first German aircraft clock.

If these clocks interest you for made in USA Military timepieces I recommend the book 'Military Timepieces' by Marvin E Whitney

1 hour ago, Tmuir said:

Looks like a Waltham CDIA aircraft clock.

I've got one sitting no more than 1 foot from me now waiting for me to clear some other projects before I work on it.

I've got the parts list and a diagram of parts, but its one of the few Waltham aircraft clocks I don't have an exploded diagram of.

I've got a small collection of WWII aircraft clocks and have in the post coming to me my first German aircraft clock.

If these clocks interest you for made in USA Military timepieces I recommend the book 'Military Timepieces' by Marvin E Whitney

USA      AND      UK   ?   I must read that book.  vin

Mostly USA, for British Military Timepieces you need funnily enough 'British Military Timepieces' by Konrad Knirim, just be prepared for a price shock as  Whitney's book is not cheap, but Konrad's price is out of this world, but they are the best reference books for British and USA military timepieces, Konrad's is full of great colour photos, whilst Whitney's book is filled with exploded diagrams and service manuals.

• Like 1