PeterS

Balance assembly

Question

9 answers to this question

It's more difficult with the balance in place.

You could try tapping an hole on a small alloy block and use a suitable screw to keep the cock in place, with the balance up. Then you let the stud in the hole and set its screw. 

Don't forget that you have to loosen the screw before adjusting, to check that the hairspring is horizontal or even let it its own natural position for best consistency across positions. 

I typically lay the balance cock down upside down on a mat and then take the balance, hairspring side down, and visually align the stud with the hole and slowly lower it. Then I use a very small screwdriver bit Yellow and tap the stud into the hole from the side. I usually have the regulator arms very close to the stud, but I just watched a pro move the regulator to the opposite side (far from the stud) leaving enough slack to simply lift the hairspring into the regulator arms; while the stud is screwed into the balance cock.

Not always an easy job and takes a lot of experience to get good at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

9 hours ago, jdrichard said:

Not always an easy job and takes a lot of experience to get good at it.

Yes. My suggestion to hold the cock with a screw was made to make it easier for a beginner, and avoid the risk of inadvertently touching the hairspring. 

I  turn the boot by 90 degrees, loosen stud screw, lay the cock on its back ,balance side up, on cardboard.  *** Insert a needle pin through the cock screw hole to secure the cock on cardboard***  . Lower the complete balance to drop balance pivot into the jewel hole, get the HS inside regulator pins and the stud in the holder hole.

Yes. My suggestion to hold the cock with a screw was made to make it easier for a beginner, and avoid the risk of inadvertently touching the hairspring. 

Good suggestion. I have even held the balance cock in a soft vice at an angle. Very risky.

I  turn the boot by 90 degrees, loosen stud screw, lay the cock on its back ,balance side up, on cardboard.  *** Insert a needle pin through the cock screw hole to secure the cock on cardboard***  . Lower the complete balance to drop balance pivot into the jewel hole, get the HS inside regulator pins and the stud in the holder hole.

Pretty much the same technique I use.

Thank you guys, it’s in!
I didn’t get to see your messages and carried on fighting with it until I got it in. I held it at an angle following Mark’s video about fitting a new jewel (tightening the stud screw is what was causing me a headache). I wasn’t entirely comfortable doing it and next time I’ll most likely secure the balance with a pin through the cock screw hole to stop it moving around.

He makes it look easy! 7:55

10 minutes ago, PeterS said:

Thank you guys, it’s in!
I didn’t get to see your messages and carried on fighting with it until I got it in. I held it at an angle following Mark’s video about fitting a new jewel (tightening the stud screw is what was causing me a headache). I wasn’t entirely comfortable doing it and next time I’ll most likely secure the balance with a pin through the cock screw hole to stop it moving around.

He makes it look easy! 7:55

True Mark dose make it look easy, has mastered it.

One advantage of pining down the cock, is the cardboard, thence, nearly the whole bench is to move along with the cock for a mishap. Large cardboard preferably taped onto the bench. Best wishes