Destroying a Hairspring

As far as I'm concerned the hairspring is the 'Achilles Heel' of the amateur watch repairer. I can manage most things with a varying degree of ability but the hairspring always seems to be a stumbling block for me anyway. I recently ruined a spring from a 2892.2 movement. Whilst removing the balance complete with bridge the spring caught on the teeth of one of the wheels. Spent hours trying to gently 'smooth' out the distortion. In the end gave up and went for a new one. One question I would like to ask is when ordering a 'Balance Complete' presumably it is the balance wheel with spring attached. On this particular movement the spring is attached to the bridge by a wedge shaped pin which appears to be glued on (see photo sorry about quality) What level  of ability is required to attach the spring to the bridge or should I go for balance spring and bridge which of course more expensive?

abcd.JPG.59c87961c5612c651c72609f4e9e92a5.JPG

I assume you mean 2892-2 movement like the one I'm just working on in the pictures. (This one was heavily oiled.)
Yes the stud is glued into place and are not one of the easiest tasks around. I belive if you orderd a balance complete you will get the balance and the spring with stud already attached.
ETA has a special tool to put the spring into place and adjust it with. But with some skills you can do it with flat tiped tweezers too.
Not the easiest task.

2892-2.jpg

2892-2 Spring.jpg

7 minutes ago, HSL said:

I assume you mean 2892-2 movement like the one I'm just working on in the pictures. (This one was heavily oiled.)
Yes the stud is glued into place and are not one of the easiest tasks around. I belive if you orderd a balance complete you will get the balance and the spring with stud already attached.
ETA has a special tool to put the spring into place and adjust it with. But with some skills you can do it with flat tiped tweezers too.
Not the easiest task.

2892-2.jpg

2892-2 Spring.jpg

I think the question is, how to remove the stud off of the stud holder and replacement.

• Like 1

Thanks HSL

Iv'e bitten the bullet and found a dealer in the US who sells the complete setup...Teach me to be more careful when removing the balance. Yes it is the same movement in a gold cased Garrard. I think I might purchase another spring and fit it to the bridge as an excercise. So it just pushes in and twists? Some seem to be diagonal to the bridge fixing....

Oof glucydur balance. Not as easy to find as nickel.

7 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

Shamefully I heat the stud with soldering gun, burn the glue, the glue will not conduct heat to HS. Assembly is ,Clean reglue. 

I ought to read this again see if I can improve technique.

Thank for sharing HSL.

Haha that's similar to what I do sometimes. Quick and easy way to make sure the spring is in most relaxed state when mounted. As well as easier and more accurate to adjust should it need any. I use glowing hot kanthal wire from my vape mod haha.