first rebuild

gary17

Hi

I have just started my first rebuild.

I'm hoping to get help.

The pictures down below are my first glitch, when i was disassembling  the movement the spring just fell out so i'm unsure how it should fit.

I think its the click spring?

Does the part that sticks out go behind that pillar?

It looks to me it should.

Sorry i don't know all the tech terms but i'm learning.

please feel free to aid my education.

cheers

gary

IMG_20190810_210700.jpg

IMG_20190810_210649.jpg

Looks like some sort of yoke spring. A yoke is usually a long piece that gets slotted in the slot on the sliding pinion. Usually there are 2 parts that the stem get threaded through. There flat one is the crown wheel and the cylindrical part is the sliding pinion. The yoke spring would push the sliding pinion towards the crown wheel through the yoke.

5 hours ago, gary17 said:

Hi

I have just started my first rebuild.

I'm hoping to get help.

The pictures down below are my first glitch, when i was disassembling  the movement the spring just fell out so i'm unsure how it should fit.

I think its the click spring?

Does the part that sticks out go behind that pillar?

It looks to me it should.

Sorry i don't know all the tech terms but i'm learning.

please feel free to aid my education.

cheers

gary

IMG_20190810_210700.jpg

IMG_20190810_210649.jpg

Find tech terms by ETA in Eternaltools.com . 

• Like 1

That spring is a "yoke spring" also known as a "return bar spring". It presses on the yoke/return bar. Make sure you get the yoke in place first, then the yoke spring, and finally place a bit of grease between the spring and the yoke where they meet. Do not grease before the spring is in place. Also, you must assemble the winding pinion, sliding pinion (also known as the clutch), and stem before you assemble the yoke and the yoke spring. Here are some pictures that you might find useful:

y4mS7t1j3vFE9fnE74XMXFa37E01SIqaRR4cnbNY

OMEGA cal. 601

y4mfbG-czH2Z_VRDpzoHYNWWwWzoucR7BXuOmJPI

VOSTOK cal. 2409

y4mLq8PCrfnvmDaeDZrx5_71r-TMeALrmkDZxHBJ

AS cal. 1203

Edited by VWatchie
misspelling
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, CaptCalvin said:

Looks like some sort of yoke spring. A yoke is usually a long piece that gets slotted in the slot on the sliding pinion. Usually there are 2 parts that the stem get threaded through. There flat one is the crown wheel and the cylindrical part is the sliding pinion. The yoke spring would push the sliding pinion towards the crown wheel through the yoke.

Thank you for explaining how this part of the keyless works operates! However, the terminology is a constant source of confusion in our trade. The part that you name a crown wheel is indeed a winding pinion and it drives the crown wheel mounted on the barrel bridge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, VWatchie said:

Thank you for explaining how this part of the keyless works operates! However, the terminology is a constant source of confusion in our trade. The part that you name a crown wheel is indeed a winding pinion and it drives the crown wheel mounted on the barrel bridge.

Eternaltools.com gives ETA's version of parts name( illustrated). Considering that the said expansionist company bought many others, the said version is expectedly the most common.

8 hours ago, VWatchie said:

Yes I've realised the mistake after it was too late to edit.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

Eternaltools.com gives ETA's version of parts name( illustrated). Considering that the said expansionist company bought many others, the said version is expectedly the most common.

Not sure I understand the Eternaltools.com comment. I looked at the website and saw nothing relating to ETA movements, only a tool seller.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DavidMasters said:

Not sure I understand the Eternaltools.com comment. I looked at the website and saw nothing relating to ETA movements, only a tool seller.

I see they put out a new site, which is what you saw. Go to the old site, 

eternaltools.com/blog/swiss-eta-watch-movement-parts

No telling if the old site stays or not, I see if it lets me copy the diagram for future references.

Regards

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CaptCalvin said:

As amazing as WRT is, the limited time for editing is IMO very, very annoying! I think we should be allowed to edit our posts for at least a week so that we can update and add info as we go. As it is now, we must basically scroll through the entire thread for new posts from the OP to find any additions or updates. Well, JM2C!

Edited by VWatchie
posted to early...
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, VWatchie said:

As amazing as WRT is, the limited time for editing is IMO very, very annoying! I think we should be allowed to edit our posts for at least a week so that we can update and add info as we go. As it is now, we must basically scroll through the entire thread for new posts from the OP to find any additions or updates. Well, JM2C!

I think anyone who tried editting agrees with you. This will also reduce the amount of corrective post perhaps even double posts. 

I think the time limit is to avoid confusion later. If someone asks how to let down the mainspring and the first reply is "take out the pallet fork" then 10 replies saying noooooo then 1st guy edits and now the thread doesn't make sense.

I don't know the limit here but I don't think any forums I visit allow more than a few hours, some less some more.

Editing is more for typos than content

(Just edited this post 3 times!)

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

I see they put out a new site, which is what you saw. Go to the old site, 

eternaltools.com/blog/swiss-eta-watch-movement-parts

No telling if the old site stays or not, I see if it lets me copy the diagram for future references.

Regards

Excellent info at link! Thanks for sharing.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, VWatchie said:

The current time limit is, I would guess, around 10 minutes, but some times this is really a little too short.

I tend to post, read my post, realise what a load of nonsense it is, edit it, find out I've still left in a couple of typos, re-edit it, only to find nope.. I'm too slow witted and I've run out of time.

If we had a "remorse period" of say 20 mins, then that would probably be better. 

3 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Would you like me to message Mark? See if it can be changed. What sot of time do you suggest?

30 mins.

20 hours ago, CaptCalvin said:

Most fruitful mistake.:geek: make more.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Would you like me to message Mark? See if it can be changed. What sot of time do you suggest?

The last post I wrote on the F10 forum (WUS) was 5 days ago and I can still edit it, which feels reassuring should I find out that I've made some silly, embarrassing, or even serious mistake. What I do as a courtesy to other members is type the word "EDIT" below the original text and then add what I have to say. I think a week would be suitable/OK. There are pros and cons allowing more time for editing, but I'm very much like @AndyHull so my posts would on occasion benefit from it.

Here is Marks complete reply.

Hi, no i'm sorry, this is not something I am willing to make unlimited.

However, I have changed regular "Member"'s to be able to edit within 1 hour - currently only 799 out of 5700 members have contributed more than 10 posts in order to become upgraded to "Member" from "New Member", sad isn't it!

"New Members" are locked in at 10 minutes. "New Members" are automatically upgraded after 10 posts.

"Moderators" have unlimited time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1