ETA/Unitas 6947

A good option is to search eBay for "17 jewels pocket watch incabloc". If you're lucky you'll find an inexpensive watch in a so-so condition with a Unitas 6498 which may the perfect candidate for the watchrepairlessons.com courses. For example https://www.ebay.com/itm/ARNEX-Pocket-Watch-17-Jewels-Incabloc-Vintage/163808704023

There's some slight confusion about what movement is actually used in the courses, but it is indeed the Unitas 6498, not the Unitas 6497. Anyway, if you find a 6497 with a good price you can use that instead. For all practical purposes, it makes very little or no difference.

Edited by VWatchie
Added additional info

There is not very much differing the 6497 or 6498,  6497 has its second at 12 o clock making the second ending up at 9 o clock when put in a case whilst the 6498 has it second at 3 o clock. So which one choose to practice on is of small difference.
But when comming to buy a case and dial I would think the 6497 configuration is the most popular since a very popular watch is using it and you find brands like "PARNIS" fitting the movement . To give a hint of which original brand it could emulate I give an extended listing below.
------------------------------------------

6497 (-1, -2)
-----------------------------------------
Alpina AL-435 (-1)
Alpina AL-650  (-1)
Chronoswiss C692 (-1)
Dornblüth 99.2 (-1)
Maurice Lacroix ML-16 (-1)
Maurice Lacroix ML-1 - (-1)
Maurice Lacroix ML-100 (-1)
Panerai OP XXI (-1)
Omega 960
Panerai OP I (-2)
Panerai OP II (-2)
Panerai OP X (-2)
Panerai OP XI (-2)
Rado RHW1 (-2)

6498 (-1, -2)
Dugena 3913
Longines L512 (-2)
Maurice Lacroix ML-76 (-1)
Sinn SZ04 (-1)
TAG Heuer Calibre 1 (-1)
Zenith 126
Zenith 40

---------------------------------------------

1 hour ago, MIKED19551 said:

If you just want a movement to practice with I would suggest you purchase a Chinese clone movement. They are almost identical in construction and don't cost a fortune if you accidentally break something.

When I made the suggestion of this particular movement I was suggesting the movement only. If you purchase a complete watch it has to be brand new which is why a movement is a better way to go. As someone new to watch repair you need to learn how the watch works and how to successfully disassemble and reassemble it without destroying it. Then preferably you going to practice a lot with this watch until you get really good at disassembling and reassembling without accidents.

Go to eBay search for eta 6497 movement. Specifically we're not looking for the 6497 or the 6498 were looking for the clone's as their way cheaper. So just now doing the search I can see one of the clone goes by ST-36.

Then see you can see what the 6497/6498 looks like I have links below. 

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&0&2uswk&ETA_6497_1

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&0&2uswk&ETA_6498_1