1 hour ago, Calibetimepiece said:

Thanks for sharing. First time saw how a watch case is made. :lol:

That is, how an one-off case can be made. For how they are industrially made:

Edited by jdm

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Topics

• I opened up this Timex Expedition T42351 to remove a tiny loose metal sliver from the dial. This watch actually has 2 stems to remove. One of those is a monster. I swear I felt like I was pulling a parasitic worm from a wood boring beetle as I slowly worked the main stem out of the movement.  But it came out, I dropped the movement out of the case, removed the metal sliver - which looks like some kind of tiny flat spring - cleaned out the dust particles and proceeded to re-assemble the watch.  Everything went fine until I attempted to slide the main stem back in; it went about halfway and then stopped. With some very careful manipulation I was able to ease it in a little more, but then it refused to go any further. I did notice there's a very loose 2-pronged spring near the entry hole and showed that to a watchmaker friend yesterday who told me that it's broken. He wouldn't touch it and advised me to just go get another watch. But I'm pretty sure there must be a way to get the stem back into the movement and regain the functionality the watch had before I opened it up. Here are pics of the watch, the loose sliver, and the stem with the movement. If anymore is familiar with anything like this, I'd love to hear your opinion. Thanks!  
    • this is watch repair anything is possible? This means that if you look on the catalog  pages of the attached PDF you may find the exact size jewel you're looking for. But is also the possibility of the various watch companies using their own jewels and the outside diameters might not correspond to the jewel sizes found on the catalog page. 5006 A_a_F Seitz jewels.pdf
    • That's great thanks. I think i'll give the chinese one a go. A question regarding changing jewels. Are you saying if i didn't have a replacement i would not find the exact sized jewel to fit so i would have to ream out the hole and fit one with a larger diameter? The inside measurement would always have to be the same though, in this case for the centre wheel to pass through.
    • Hi I am trying top locate hands for a omega cal 565  case num 166.025 Cousins don't have them, not omega anyway. I got the hand sizes from ranfft 1.50mm 0.80mm 0.18mm So i presume they are the hole size? So went on unbranded parts in cousins looking for hands. I can get the hour and the minute hand but the seconds hand fits onto a pin and secures the hour and minutes hands. How do i know what second hand i need? The hole which is 0.18 i understand but then it has to be wide enough on the outer side to secure minute hand? Sorry if i have not explained this properly but i'm doing me best. I've included some pics but i only have a phone cam so that's the best i can do with that. I also know the pics show the hole is dirty and uncleaned but i want to see if i can get this second hand sorted before i strip it and clean it. Any help advice appreciated. cheers gary  
    • The cap stones are the same both sides. I never seen such defects on the many I worked on. In some way it seems to me that is the domed side up, but it shouldn't. Before blaming the train check well the escapement, balance pivots, end-shake, hairsping shape, that there is no rubbing, etc.