walk through help

1 minute ago, Nucejoe said:

You are testing the parts, mechs, functions as you strip the movement. How else would you knowm, what all is good or not.

Guess it seems to be a difference of opinions but in my books it is always better to trouble shoot a clean movement because then you can rule out disturbance/fault generated by dirt or poor lubrication. Even if it seems stange to some i think it will give you a faster result.

2 minutes ago, HSL said:

Guess it seems to be a difference of opinions but in my books it is always better to trouble shoot a clean movement because then you can rule out disturbance/fault generated by dirt or poor lubrication. Even if it seems stange to some i think it will give you a faster result.

:bow: you are right. 

Joe thats the problem.

I have been tinkering with watches for about 3 months.  mainly destroying them as i have said.  I  dont want to upsdet any one. Thanks for trying to help me i appreciate it.

I just wanted to strip one and rebuild it so i could understand the movement better. I have read how to do it but i thought trying was the way forward. Im sorry for wasting your time.

cheers

gary

P>S john i would love to hear more about those chinese clones

8 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

:bow: you are right. 

I don't think it's about who is right or wrong, this forum is great in that perspective one can discuss and change opinions with eachother and learn in that way. 
For a complete novice it might be good to first learn the basics first and I think a perfect place is at Marks site 
https://www.watchrepairlessons.com/
As many other he uses the ETA/Unitas 6947 clone as an example, it's an easy movement to learn on. The genuine one might cost slightly to much to tinker with..

28 minutes ago, HSL said:

In modern watch repair shops what you're describing is known as pre-cleaning. The incoming watches have their hands and dial removed and any calendar discs anything that's painted will be removed. Then the entire watch is run through usually a separate machine just for this usually with a shorter cycle of cleaning. Then with the now clean watch the watchmaker will proceed with a normal repair procedure. Then of course once all the repairs are made the watch is cleaned again this time totally disassembled.

7 minutes ago, HSL said:

I don't think it's about who is right or wrong, this forum is great in that perspective one can discuss and change opinions with eachother and learn in that way. 
For a complete novice it might be good to first learn the basics first and I think a perfect place is at Marks site 
https://www.watchrepairlessons.com/
As many other he uses the ETA/Unitas 6947 clone as an example, it's an easy movement to learn on. The genuine one might cost slightly to much to tinker with..

Gary did what I call a live walkthrough. Excited I felt our team can overhaul a vacheron together. Best Regards

52 minutes ago, gary17 said:

Joe thats the problem.

I have been tinkering with watches for about 3 months.  mainly destroying them as i have said.  I  dont want to upsdet any one. Thanks for trying to help me i appreciate it.

I just wanted to strip one and rebuild it so i could understand the movement better. I have read how to do it but i thought trying was the way forward. Im sorry for wasting your time.

cheers

gary

P>S john i would love to hear more about those chinese clones

Your energy enthusiasm keeness is priceless, part is just a piece of metal.

Scholastic decipline, making use of experiences of other is wise.

Lets cheat, we can overhaul the eta but tell john and hsl you are back working on clone. :D.

Best wishes 

I would love to carry on with the eta but i dont want to offend anyone

Can you tell me which watches have this chinese clone ETA/Unitas 6947 in them. When i enter 

ETA/Unitas 6947 it shows only watches worth 100s of pounds.

I was thinking to keep the peace i would get one and take marks course. The only problem with watching a video know two watches are the same and you cannot question a video.

Well this is a record for me , only two months a member and already i have upset people.

cheers

for trying i appreciate it

gary

An genuine costs lots but the clone is affordabel
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/17-Jewels-Swan-Neck-6497-Hand-winding-st36-Movement-fit-parnis-mens-watch-P18/262590728862?epid=876971012&hash=item3d23a08a9e:g:v-oAAOSwAPVZL6bL

I have never worked with on the clone but it seems to be quite the same..

P.S I don't think anyone gets offended if you continue with the one you have.. ;)