Lemania 3050

Marc

I'm wearing this little baby today. It ranks as one of my best bargains ever.

post-73-0-18660100-1390995424_thumb.jpg

Believe it or not it was a car boot score. A freezing Easter morning with only a handful of sellers and this antiques stall with mainly furniture and just a couple of odds and ends including this in a rather grubby and non-running state. The seller was deep in conversation with another trader, comparing takings and discussing a large mahogany chest of draws, and didn't seem too interested in my custom. when I asked him his price for the watch I almost fell over when he said £10. Recovering my composure and being the cheeky git that I am I decided to haggle and offered him £5. He wasn't interested but to my amazement he did meet me half way and the watch was in my pocket for £7.50 before he could change his mind.

Once home I opened it up to find this inside;

post-73-0-09335100-1390995434_thumb.jpg

Lemania Cal. 3050 17 jewel indirect center seconds with Glucydur balance and Breguet over coil hair spring. All that was required was a full service and re-lube, a new crystal, and a clean up of the all stainless steel case.

I'm guessing mid 50's based on styling and very loosely on the serial number. There is also a service mark in the case back dated Nov 61.

Enjoy.

Another fine watch that will not be consigned to the dustbin of history,  well done Marc.  There must be shed loads of watches out there, forgotten about in cupboards and drawers that are well worth saving.  My biggest problem is getting hold of decent non running watches to work on,  I've seen the Ebay offers of a dozen for £XX's  most of which are just cheap junk and not worth bothering with,  where are the Vacheron & Constantin watches for a fiver?

RogerC

Hah! - I wish as well... During the last 2-3 years I've noticed a steady increase in the price of halfway decent watches, and they're certainly not as easy to find as they used to be. I find the odd beauty from friends down the pub.

RogerC

where are the Vacheron & Constantin watches for a fiver?

I haven't done too badly out of car boot sales but you do have to be patient and be prepared to do a lot of rummaging in boxes of junk. I also find some of the less well informed sales spiel that you get when someone senses that you're interested in an item extremely amusing, although that amount of "up selling" invariably means an unrealistic asking price.  

• Like 1