SiZi

My first! Omega 565 cal. Seamaster project

I’m in the process of servicing my first watch ever, after completing two levels of Mark’s course. I welcome tips :)

So far I have disassembled and done one cleaning. Next, I will use the ultrasonic and then will lubricate and reassemble. Fingers crossed!

415B3FD1-3EB1-4465-8287-E4D33B525F48.jpeg

E2D611A9-6F52-4ECD-B82A-A131184ABE09.jpeg

7 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hi SiZi      my pleasure we are all here to help where we can. Its what this site is all about  cheers.

Glad I'm here!

6 hours ago, Watchtime said:

really nice work for a 1st timer...well done...did you see Mark's comment about putting back the main spring by hand...:biggrin:

lol, yes, but it was too late! I didn’t have a wonder and wasn’t ready to wait several weeks for one to arrive (I live in India). So, this time won’t be best practice :)

6 hours ago, jackie01 said:

Congratulations. It's pleasant to see this work. Would you describe how you did cleaning process od the dial?

Thank you, and sure... first I used cotton buds to very gently wipe dirt off the dial face. Then, for the metal hour markers at 12,3,6,9 a little simichrome was used with a cotton bud. I had to be super gentle through the process. 

On 9/9/2019 at 1:33 AM, SiZi said:

lol, yes, but it was too late! I didn’t have a wonder and wasn’t ready to wait several weeks for one to arrive (I live in India). So, this time won’t be best practice :)

Many people will disagree, but I find that it is ok to fit mainsprings by hand if you are careful. I still use a winder when it's easier though.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Topics

• I've found this old posting of mine and in hindsight I would say that 1.05 x .115 x 420 x 10.5 mm  - GR2534X would be better.
    • I have a lot of confidence in @Mark so that video section answers all my questions! Lube the automatic mainspring with Moebius 8200 and apply braking grease to the barrel wall. The 8200 will protect the spring and make it just slippery enough to help winding it into a mainspring winder without breaking. Obviously, the very thin layer of 8200 will not defeat the effect of the braking grease, or that is at least my interpretation of the video passage. Nevertheless, I agree with many that the best path is to replace the mainspring if one is available when servicing.
    • Just curious; did you get a chance to look at the date wheel issue again? If so, I do hope you were successful in finding the source of the problem and can share it with us!? The calendar works of the 2472 is the most sophisticated I've come across so far with its instant date change where the date wheel doesn't move one bit until it flips over in a blink. So fascinating I recorded a video of it here.
    • a new mainspring is always needed when doing a service/overhaul. new alloy mainsprings come with a dry lube so you may think they are not lubed but they are, . if you reusing a mainspring which i do not recommend then you have to clean off the old oil first if there is any and then use a piece of watch paper coated with oil then put it between tweezers and run the spring through it. I cant recommend an oil because i have never reused a spring but i can say it wont be 8200 since it is a natural oil and can spread and contaminate your barrel and movement. there really is NO reason to oil a mainspring except for maybe rust protection when dealing with very old NOS blue steel springs, or if the manufacturer specifies. I personally never oil automatic springs since most automatics i work on are modern and use white alloy springs, which again already come pre lubed. Some springs have a teflon coating which looks blue that will have to be removed prior to install to prevent emulsion from forming. Has anyone tested the power reserve in auto with dry spring vs one that has a lubed spring? Do that then decide for yourself
    • Update, here Mark joined the lubing camp.