Jump to content
SiZi

My first! Omega 565 cal. Seamaster project

Recommended Posts

I’m in the process of servicing my first watch ever, after completing two levels of Mark’s course. I welcome tips :)

So far I have disassembled and done one cleaning. Next, I will use the ultrasonic and then will lubricate and reassemble. Fingers crossed!

415B3FD1-3EB1-4465-8287-E4D33B525F48.jpeg

E2D611A9-6F52-4ECD-B82A-A131184ABE09.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Watchtime said:

really nice work for a 1st timer...well done...did you see Mark's comment about putting back the main spring by hand...:biggrin:

lol, yes, but it was too late! I didn’t have a wonder and wasn’t ready to wait several weeks for one to arrive (I live in India). So, this time won’t be best practice :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, jackie01 said:

Congratulations. It's pleasant to see this work. Would you describe how you did cleaning process od the dial?

Thank you, and sure... first I used cotton buds to very gently wipe dirt off the dial face. Then, for the metal hour markers at 12,3,6,9 a little simichrome was used with a cotton bud. I had to be super gentle through the process. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2019 at 1:33 AM, SiZi said:

lol, yes, but it was too late! I didn’t have a wonder and wasn’t ready to wait several weeks for one to arrive (I live in India). So, this time won’t be best practice :)

Many people will disagree, but I find that it is ok to fit mainsprings by hand if you are careful. I still use a winder when it's easier though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Finally... Bush fitted - hole broached to the needed size, and the video below was the test fit to see if it all worked and looked OK. The wheels spins smoothly though all angles (it was not lubricated at this point) and the bearing endplay looks fine too. Not shown in the sequence but done anyway, was my attempt at polishing the pivot from the worn side. It was marked and oldhippy said it really should be done. I did not have any correct tools for this, but did have some hard pith wood and very fine rouge, so had a go with that, using a small hand-drill to spin the wheel. Before and after through the loupe did show a marked improvement, so was worth doing. (Naturally, I polished the pivot before broaching the pivot hole...) All I need to do now is to rebuild the works and sort out the escapement depthing and, hopefully, this old clock will keep time again. I would welcome comments, views on the process etc. as this was a learning task for me. I also have to say thanks to all who commented and gave tips earlier, as you certainly gave me the confidence to "have a go". Re-Bushed.mp4
    • This is an fusee English lever pocket watch. The customer said that it was only running for a few minutes and then stopping. On first inspection the amplitude was almost non existent but strangely was running. I presumed a good service would resolve this issue BUT alas the same issue. I stripped again and inspected every part with a microscope and found a bent safety pin + the banking pins had been bent. Apart from this I could not find anything. The balance pivots show some scoring but just a tiny touch it swings fine. Believe it or not, the amplitude now (see vid) is twice as much as what it was. My suspicion is the pallet is not the original and the horns are just a touch short so the impulse pin is not swinging the hairspring on impulse. Just wondering if anyone has come across this error,I'm a bit lost at present.   IMG_5211 (1).m4v    
    • Next step was to broach the pivot hole out to fit the pivot on the wheel. This was another "first" for me, so I read up, took my time and went for it. Cutting slowly from both sides, bit by bit and constantly try-fitting the wheel to check for fit and to make sure the hole was true. Also, refitting both plates with the wheel fitted to ensure there was no binding points. Finally, using the smoothing broach to harden the pivot hole, bearing surface.
    • The bush was fitted from the inside, again as required, without issue. I have an engineers flat surface which I used to get a true fit. Also, I had an appropriate sized flat headed stake in my staking set, so fitting the bush was a straightforward job. Apologies for the photo from the outside of the plate, as the focus point was off.
    • Next step, was to take the hole out to the wanted size of 4.47mm. Although I had damaged the smaller cutter in the process of the initial step, the broach had worked correctly as I learned how to use it and the hole looked great for this next step. I was cutting from the back of the plate, as required,  and using the new broach worked as I now expected it would. This photo shows the resulting hole once done, with hole now ready to accept the new bush.
×
×
  • Create New...