My first! Omega 565 cal. Seamaster project

I’m in the process of servicing my first watch ever, after completing two levels of Mark’s course. I welcome tips :)

So far I have disassembled and done one cleaning. Next, I will use the ultrasonic and then will lubricate and reassemble. Fingers crossed!

415B3FD1-3EB1-4465-8287-E4D33B525F48.jpeg

E2D611A9-6F52-4ECD-B82A-A131184ABE09.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Watchtime said:

really nice work for a 1st timer...well done...did you see Mark's comment about putting back the main spring by hand...:biggrin:

lol, yes, but it was too late! I didn’t have a wonder and wasn’t ready to wait several weeks for one to arrive (I live in India). So, this time won’t be best practice :)

6 hours ago, jackie01 said:

Congratulations. It's pleasant to see this work. Would you describe how you did cleaning process od the dial?

Thank you, and sure... first I used cotton buds to very gently wipe dirt off the dial face. Then, for the metal hour markers at 12,3,6,9 a little simichrome was used with a cotton bud. I had to be super gentle through the process. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/9/2019 at 1:33 AM, SiZi said:

lol, yes, but it was too late! I didn’t have a wonder and wasn’t ready to wait several weeks for one to arrive (I live in India). So, this time won’t be best practice :)

Many people will disagree, but I find that it is ok to fit mainsprings by hand if you are careful. I still use a winder when it's easier though.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 9/8/2019 at 9:57 AM, SiZi said:

I managed to put the mainspring back by hand, and started assembling the watch.

A helpful tip for anyone looking at this discussion? I snipped out an image found up above a typical newbie mistake? People usually reassemble the watch in the opposite order they took apart. Usually what I'll notice is they put the pallet fork in right at the very beginning and that's a big mistake. Yes you can put it in but you don't have to. If you don't have the pallet fork in you can verify that the gear train spins. It makes it a lot easier to put the wheels back in if the pallet fork is not there. So typically you put it in just before you put the balance wheel in makes things a lot easier.

not the first part to go in definitely not.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 3/4/2022 at 4:44 PM, JohnR725 said:

A helpful tip for anyone looking at this discussion? I snipped out an image found up above a typical newbie mistake? People usually reassemble the watch in the opposite order they took apart. Usually what I'll notice is they put the pallet fork in right at the very beginning and that's a big mistake. Yes you can put it in but you don't have to. If you don't have the pallet fork in you can verify that the gear train spins. It makes it a lot easier to put the wheels back in if the pallet fork is not there. So typically you put it in just before you put the balance wheel in makes things a lot easier.

This makes lots of sense.  When you have the fork in place and instal the barrel bridge next, you have missed the chance to verify the train running effortless and its back spin. 

• 1 month later...

my opinion for the correct reasembly 

1)barrel bridge 

2)train wheel bridge 

3) sec pinion with care a lot of 3rd wheels are damaged for this assembly 

personaly i take a new clear oiler to hold them down(the pinion) to put on the bridge 

4) pallet fork 

5) balance  

and good oiling and a bid of luck if you use the old mainspring