removing a rotor of vintage citizen watch

Hello watchmakers!

I am about to work on a vintage citizen watch.

I removed the movement from the case but I am stuck on removing the automatic rotor..

It seems that my screwdrivers won't do the job..

Any advice would be helpful thank you.

images.jpg

image.thumb.png.747550d5b4c8519137d19c333050297c.png

The tool needed to remove the nut is described in that second PDF, around page 32 in my PDF reader.

You should be able to make something similar relatively easily from a piece of round stock, perhaps an old screwdriver blade with sufficient meat on it, by cutting a suitable slot in the flattened end.

Note the direction that it tells you to turn the tool. That sounds like a standard thread rather than a reverse one. Normally it is lefty, loosey, righty, tighty. i.e. Anticlockwise to undo and clockwise to tighten.

I would take the time to make the tool, as otherwise you risk marring the end of the "nut" on the weight.

Edited by AndyHull
  • Like 1

I use an old bronze tweezer . Hold it over and use the left hand to press around when unscrewing . have worked for me so far. But as i saw the picture of the tool. I wonder if i don't have a screwdriver here that is for that . Always wonder what it was for. I will go and have a look. 

Edited by rogart63
  • Thanks 1

Found the tool . But couldn't find the movement right now . Is the nut approx 2,1 mm .  The citizen i had in was a 52 -.... diver . Which i thought should have a movement with such nut. But it had a normal 8200  movement. Great for me as i found those movement a pain to service. 5270 and 7270 isn't that the numbers. Have 200 clicksprings on the date mechanism :) 

7 hours ago, rogart63 said:

Found the tool . But couldn't find the movement right now . Is the nut approx 2,1 mm .  The citizen i had in was a 52 -.... diver . Which i thought should have a movement with such nut. But it had a normal 8200  movement. Great for me as i found those movement a pain to service. 5270 and 7270 isn't that the numbers. Have 200 clicksprings on the date mechanism :) 

14 hours ago, jguitron said:

I found one on eBay that worked perfectly fine at a very reasonable price.

Nothing else I tried worked!

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, AndyHull said:

image.thumb.png.747550d5b4c8519137d19c333050297c.png

The tool needed to remove the nut is described in that second PDF, around page 32 in my PDF reader.

You should be able to make something similar relatively easily from a piece of round stock, perhaps an old screwdriver blade with sufficient meat on it, by cutting a suitable slot in the flattened end.

Note the direction that it tells you to turn the tool. That sounds like a standard thread rather than a reverse one. Normally it is lefty, loosey, righty, tighty. i.e. Anticlockwise to undo and clockwise to tighten.

I would take the time to make the tool, as otherwise you risk marring the end of the "nut" on the weight.

17 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Thank you everyone for your generous advice.

I will try the tweezers!! 

Hey guys! Just wanted to thank you because of you guys sharing all this information I got to put back a similar citizen for my dad!
I did not find any info on the movement (maybe did not use the right words) so took the thing apart blindly.... But just before putting back together I found this thread and got the manual someone shared! Thanks a lot.
9ecc333d9d52b77525930c4dad259c7a.jpg78c0e21ee4fc3541d9086da5682fb6a8.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...