east3rn

removing a rotor of vintage citizen watch

Question

Hello watchmakers!

I am about to work on a vintage citizen watch.

I removed the movement from the case but I am stuck on removing the automatic rotor..

It seems that my screwdrivers won't do the job..

Any advice would be helpful thank you.

images.jpg

10 answers to this question

image.thumb.png.747550d5b4c8519137d19c333050297c.png

The tool needed to remove the nut is described in that second PDF, around page 32 in my PDF reader.

You should be able to make something similar relatively easily from a piece of round stock, perhaps an old screwdriver blade with sufficient meat on it, by cutting a suitable slot in the flattened end.

Note the direction that it tells you to turn the tool. That sounds like a standard thread rather than a reverse one. Normally it is lefty, loosey, righty, tighty. i.e. Anticlockwise to undo and clockwise to tighten.

I would take the time to make the tool, as otherwise you risk marring the end of the "nut" on the weight.

Edited by AndyHull

I use an old bronze tweezer . Hold it over and use the left hand to press around when unscrewing . have worked for me so far. But as i saw the picture of the tool. I wonder if i don't have a screwdriver here that is for that . Always wonder what it was for. I will go and have a look. 

Edited by rogart63

Found the tool . But couldn't find the movement right now . Is the nut approx 2,1 mm .  The citizen i had in was a 52 -.... diver . Which i thought should have a movement with such nut. But it had a normal 8200  movement. Great for me as i found those movement a pain to service. 5270 and 7270 isn't that the numbers. Have 200 clicksprings on the date mechanism :) 

7 hours ago, rogart63 said:

Found the tool . But couldn't find the movement right now . Is the nut approx 2,1 mm .  The citizen i had in was a 52 -.... diver . Which i thought should have a movement with such nut. But it had a normal 8200  movement. Great for me as i found those movement a pain to service. 5270 and 7270 isn't that the numbers. Have 200 clicksprings on the date mechanism :) 

14 hours ago, jguitron said:

I found one on eBay that worked perfectly fine at a very reasonable price.

Nothing else I tried worked!

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, AndyHull said:

image.thumb.png.747550d5b4c8519137d19c333050297c.png

The tool needed to remove the nut is described in that second PDF, around page 32 in my PDF reader.

You should be able to make something similar relatively easily from a piece of round stock, perhaps an old screwdriver blade with sufficient meat on it, by cutting a suitable slot in the flattened end.

Note the direction that it tells you to turn the tool. That sounds like a standard thread rather than a reverse one. Normally it is lefty, loosey, righty, tighty. i.e. Anticlockwise to undo and clockwise to tighten.

I would take the time to make the tool, as otherwise you risk marring the end of the "nut" on the weight.

17 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Thank you everyone for your generous advice.

I will try the tweezers!! 

Hey guys! Just wanted to thank you because of you guys sharing all this information I got to put back a similar citizen for my dad!
I did not find any info on the movement (maybe did not use the right words) so took the thing apart blindly.... But just before putting back together I found this thread and got the manual someone shared! Thanks a lot.
9ecc333d9d52b77525930c4dad259c7a.jpg78c0e21ee4fc3541d9086da5682fb6a8.jpg

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By jackie01
      Hello,
      I started new project - Citizen 67-9119. It's seventies chronograph based on 8110A movement. Watch came to me as "fully working in great condition" As you can see there isn't crystal. The one which was here had chip and wasn't set properly in bezel so when i turned the watch it fall on the floor and broke. As you can see dial is in quite good condition, only it needs to be relumed. Hands needs to be repainted and relumed too. Movement works well but it is too speedy (  +3 min/24h). Chrono buttons work properly, only the hour counter stops at "3h" position so I must to take a look here. I striped down the watch and disassembled movement. There was some much oil everywhere so the cleaning is required. 

• By FredS
      Hello, 
      I have a j810 movement that needs a stem and crown. Can’t find part numbers. Citizen eco-drive j810-s088232.
    • By DrG
      Hi everyone! 
      I am currently in the process of building my first watch. I have sourced the parts from ebay and decided to go with a Miyota 8215 movement. I believe I have everything I need, have learned a lot from watching the videos  , however I am still scratching my head on a white movement ring that the Miyota came with (picture attached). Is this the dial spacer ring or does it function as both a movement ring and dial spacer? The case I purchased comes with a movement ring (however I have to purchase the clamps and screws, which I have already found on Esslinger). If this is not a dial spacer, I am assuming I would need one so the date ring doesn’t get stuck, however I am uncertain if the dial spacer is totally necessary. 
      Thanks in advance! 
      Guido

• By jackie01
      Hello everybody,

I open this thread to archive works on Citizen 8110A Bullhead. I purchased this watch in poor condition as You can see on the photos.

Cause I have serviced few chronographs in the past I decide to try restore this watch. Maybe is not ractional from the economical aspect but we do this because we love it So let's open it.

Hands are in good condition (required repaint and relume) but the dial has broken legs and tachy scale is faded :/ I think it's really hard to find orginal and there is no gold aftermarket replacement - sad. Look at the movement.

Gosh, what a dirty place It needs good cleaning and oiling. 
      But the biggest problems are this.

Broken post on main spring bridge and missing rocking bar core and screw in gear train. I need to find replacement.

While I'll be working on movement the case and pushers are send to renew - putting new gold plated coat

Stay tuned

• By east3rn
      Hello. 
      I am about to work on a Omega ladies automatic watch.
      I found out that the axis of the rotor is out of place and shakes up and down.
      What could be done in this situation?
      Thanks!