stuck on rebuild

Hi

Guys.

It's me again. Please don't laugh. I have been tinkering with watches for 3 months. Im a baby still but we all have to learn.

So i had a everite not working so i thought i would do a service on it. Not for real no oil or any thing just taking it apart and rebuilding it.

I found a video on youtube doing a service on a everite not the exact model but i thought near enough.

So watching the video step bty step rewinding and watching again and again. I sucessfully dismantled the watch all pieces are there all under glass etc.

So last night i decided to rebuild the movement put the video on and . Yes you guessed it ends it dont show the rebuild.

Now i know your going to say if you took it apart you should be able to put it all back.

But this is my first go and i have know idea were to start.

What bit first? mainspring in drum?

Coming to the point is there any diagrams instructions any one knows that might give me a bit of a chance to rebuild it.

It was a cheap purchase in joblot. but i need to learn

Well if nowt out i'm sure this will give . yer all a laugh.

But seriously i could do with some pointers.

cheers

gary

Hi Gary can you tell us what make the movement is, under the balance cock there should be a mark and a number ie  ETA 2428-2  or somthing like that way we may be able to find the tech sheet for you. photos are always a great help in cases like this.

Withe the front plate in the holder reassemble from the barrel  train wheels escapement fork all with their bridges and screws having reached this point insert stem and button and give it a few turns on the mainspring and check the action of the fork if it snaps to and fro to the banking pins when moved (use a fine artists brush) if thats ok then fit the balance making sure it engages the fork ok  and it should start up ,  with luck.    Take your time and be careful. 

• Like 1

taking pic.s of the position of the parts as they come out ---  it is a "memory thing.  for example;  which direction does the mainspring go in the barrel?  you can put these parts "aside" and start again on another watch?  vin

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gary17 said:

Hi

Guys.

It's me again. Please don't laugh. I have been tinkering with watches for 3 months. Im a baby still but we all have to learn.

So i had a everite not working so i thought i would do a service on it. Not for real no oil or any thing just taking it apart and rebuilding it.

I found a video on youtube doing a service on a everite not the exact model but i thought near enough.

So watching the video step bty step rewinding and watching again and again. I successfully dismantled the watch all pieces are there all under glass etc.

So last night i decided to rebuild the movement put the video on and . Yes you guessed it ends it dont show the rebuild.

Now i know your going to say if you took it apart you should be able to put it all back.

But this is my first go and i have know idea were to start.

What bit first? mainspring in drum?

Coming to the point is there any diagrams instructions any one knows that might give me a bit of a chance to rebuild it.

It was a cheap purchase in joblot. but i need to learn

Well if nowt out i'm sure this will give . yer all a laugh.

But seriously i could do with some pointers.

cheers

gary

Generally re-assembly is done in the reverse order of disassembly, so there may be enough clues in the original video. 

There is no hard and fast rule about the order parts come off and go back on,  but generally I start by letting down the mainspring, remove crown and stem,  then remove  hands, then dial, then from the balance side, balance +bridge, balance fork if appropriate at this point, then depending on the way it is constructed, the winder gears, mainspring bridge+mainspring barrel, other bridges and gears in whichever order is appropriate, then balance fork if other things prevented its removal till this point, then turn over, remove keyless work if necessary. I then strip and clean the mainspring etc. 

More complex watches will have other steps.

Re-assembly is generally this process in reverse.

Some good close up pictures of your de-constructed watch should give us enough clues to guide you in re-assembly.

Finally, don't panic, this is all part of the learning process. Just take care, go slowly and methodically, don't use force, all watch parts are delicate. If you get the re-assembly order wrong, nothing bad will happen, you will just need to reverse the bit you got wrong and work from there.  It can be a little time consuming, but if eye fatigue or frustration are starting to set in, put it aside, do something else, come back when you have rested and gathered your thoughts.

Edited by AndyHull
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Based on Andy's general rule, "assembly is the reverse of disassembly" I draw this conclusion, play the video in reverse ,tighten screws.:lol: lol.

On the serious side Andy and I will work with you step by step and there is always plenty of help from members.

No panic together, we,ll get this thing ticking.

Hey guys

here are some pics of the top plate and bottom plate as it stands. I cannot take picks of the bits i've removed as my camera cannot photo anything that small its just a huawei phone.

The number on the plate is as follows.

AS

I have each section seperate the bridge and bits the balance and bits the gears etc. What scares me is the pallet its minute and it came of under another piece so i don't know were it came from.

Anyway thanks for trying to help me i appreciate it.

I could just bin it and start another one. But i wont learn anything and i would just make the same mistake.

cheers

gary

AS1704& 05 are manual wind simple basic movement. No problem to reassemble with or witnout data sheet.

AS 1700 & 1701 are autmatic variants with detached manual wind and 17, 25, 30, 41 jewels. Beautiful movement, came in many brands such as eterna, movado, west end watch, fortis.... 

Consider it done.

Best Regards

14 hours ago, gary17 said:

Thanks.I can now get on with it thanks very much.

You're welcome, a next time use "watch repairs questions", only in that section you can rate answers and mark the correct one(s).