Day wheel advance problem

Hello,

It's been a while since I've posted but I have an issue that's perplexed me! About ten months ago, I repaired and serviced a rare ETA 2832 movement with a day date calendar mechanism. The watch worked fine until recently when the day wheel advanced half way and then got stuck. Having had it back on the bench and done a partial strip-down, I have re-engaged the day wheel, which now turns freely through all days in the crown/stem corrector position (as does the date wheel when turning in the opposite direction) but when moving the hands forward through 24 hours, the date wheel advances but the day wheel will not. I have carefully examined the day jumper mechanism and note that as the calendar wheel rotates and the arm engages the teeth and rotates the date wheel, nothing seems to be engaging to move the day wheel forward. I have added a few photos which may help to identify the problem. I have annotated with a red arrow, the lever which I think is supposed to advance the day wheel but doesn't engage at the calendar wheel teeth (if indeed this is what it's supposed to do). Any ideas of what I may have missed here?

Thanks

20190729_212320422_iOS_LI.jpg

20190729_212438949_iOS.jpg

20190729_212510531_iOS.jpg

1 hour ago, Nucejoe said:

Hi, Date ring is a bit off center, driffted towards 9 Oclock.

Also have you checked the functioning of date jump gear in both clock&anticlock.

Good luck

Correction: Date jump arm, not gear.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AdamC said:

I have carefully examined the day jumper mechanism and note that as the calendar wheel rotates and the arm engages the teeth and rotates the date wheel, nothing seems to be engaging to move the day wheel forward.

Below the day finger (or arm)

Capture.PNG.d29e87612bcb1f48762241851c2d3bce.PNG

There is two possible reasons for which it can't contact the date gear:

• it's too low, as it happens when the date wheel jumper isn't engaged, or the C-clip not well pressed
  • is too far away, as if the finger tip is worn off, or the date gear is.

Your case appears to be the latter, the tips of some cogs are gone, making it appear to be off-center, so the problem can happen for some day but not others.

Look for a 2836 2561 on Cousins UK or other sources.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks all for your thoughts. I’ll look at the simple things to test first but I have a feeling that it’s likely that some components mentioned may need replacement. The watch has been worn for over 40 years so it wouldn’t be surprising. And yes, thankfully I think Cousins has many parts still available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had issues with these style of date/day discs and I have found wear is the issue. I did pick up a few years ago, a bag full of date discs off ebay. However although some look OK the days or numerals do not always aline correctly. 

The Date wheel is severely worn in the 20's. Notice how the wheel has been eaten away until touching numbers yet clear space at 180°. The Date wheel is binding and appears to be worn from top down also. I would simply replace the Date wheel and see if it works. It will prob get the watch through the remainder of its working  life.

Screen Shot 2019-07-30 at 8.42.46 AM.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DavidMasters said:

The Date wheel is severely worn in the 20's. Notice how the wheel has been eaten away until touching numbers yet clear space at 180°. The Date wheel is binding and appears to be worn from top down also. I would simply replace the Date wheel and see if it works. It will prob get the watch through the remainder of its working  life.

OP is reporting a problem with day not advancing, not date.

when moving the hands forward through 24 hours, the date wheel advances but the day wheel will not

1 hour ago, rogart63 said:

One thing that feels odd is that i have never seen this kind of date mechanism on a ETA 2832 or any of the other models that are similar . Like the 2834,36 . 

In what they are different? The OP needs to identify the mov't correctly in order to get the right part(s).

Edited by jdm

Thanks again for your helpful replies. I have tried to re-position the calendar wheel more centrally but as I suspected, the hook spring under the maintaining plate pushes the ring back out again. From your comments, I'm fairly convinced that the calendar wheel needs replacing due to excess wear (as may the day wheel). The bad news is that both parts are restricted items on Cousins site. The day date driving wheel part 2555 however is in stock if it's down to the finger/arm being worn and not reaching the day wheel teeth as suggested by jdm.

For now I have reassembled, and securely fitted a new day wheel retaining spring clip as suggested (unfortunately didn't improve). I may purchase part 2555 as it's inexpensive, though I have my suspicions that it won't solve the problem in isolation.

5 hours ago, rogart63 said:

Maybe i am thinking of a 2824-2 movements . But as i looked it looks more like a 2824 and that family. http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&0&2uswk&ETA_2824

You are right , I have two eta of same caliber but diferent day mech design. Designations on mainplate are diferent though, like DM and N etc. I guess DM stands for Day Modified.  

• Like 1

On 7/30/2019 at 4:25 PM, rogart63 said:

One thing that feels odd is that i have never seen this kind of date mechanism on a ETA 2832 or any of the other models that are similar . Like the 2834,36 . 

It's quite common on these older models, this is found on the 27XX models like 2789,2790 and so on, sometimes the jumper spring is a bit different.

• 5 months later...

I know this is a reply to a very old post of mine but just for the record, I think I've finally diagnosed the ETA 2832 day wheel advance issue. @jdm gave the best clue back on 30 July 2019 with the day/date jumper wheel. Having had the watch back again from my stepfather for a different issue, I compared photos I took back in October 2018 when I first disassembled the watch with a new photo. I have included an arrowed photo that clearly shows that a finger is missing from the day/date driving wheel (part 2555.1). As it happens I can still obtain a replacement part that's not been restricted by the mighty Swatch. Feeling optimistic!

ETA 2832 Day Date Driving Wheel 2555 Issue.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1