Ruin my day with an Eterna

I decided I would probably let you guys ruin my day.

Here’s the story:

In 1989 I was in a Mayors Jewelry Store and saw an Eterna Skeleton Watch. It was the prettiest watch I had ever seen and had a fancy price tag to match.

$3500.00

I wore it a few years but finally put it up and bought a Rolex because the hands were so small they were impossible to see in dim light.

So I put it back in the box and it has stayed there for the last 29 years.

I have no desire to sell it and am still very fond of it, although I haven’t worn it in years.

I have also never seen another one like it anywhere.

Not on Ebay, Google Searches, or anywhere else.

And I have looked for years.

I know it is not true but it seems like I have the only one in the world.

At least as far as the internet is concerned.

So the question is:

Does it have any value at all or is at least worth what I paid for it?

Again I don’t want to sell it.

I am just wondering if it was a big waste of money or if it at least still has some value. It is all 18 carat gold with real Sapphires on the face, at least according to the Documentation.

Thanks.

Eterna Watch-01.jpg

Eterna Watch-02.jpg

Eterna Watch-03.jpg

Eterna Watch-24.JPG

This is actually a watch repair forum, even if many members are knowledgeable on the matter, estimates aren't discussed often. 

I suggest that you look on chrono24.com for similar referencens. 

Edited by jdm

Thanks, and I apologize.

This was just the only place I could think to ask.

I looked on the site and they did not have one listed either.

Forget the value, has anyone ever even seen one of the watches before?

Maybe I do have the only one in the world,.

Although I doubt it.

You could try asking Eterna about the watch. They are still around.

ETERNA SA
SCHÜTZENGASSE 46 • CH-2540 GRENCHEN • SWITZERLAND
TEL. +41 32 938 23 82
[email protected]

Assuming the watch is genuine, and assuming it is made of gold, then it will have at the very minimum, its scrap value, however it looks like a pretty unique watch, so I'm sure its value will be much higher than that.

Edited by AndyHull

Eterna was aquisitioned by a Hong-Kong base jeweler and watch retailer some twenty years ago. Surely you can find and contact the jeweler this rich.

Chances are some Asian made caliber train is fitted in the ebauche of you watch.

Other than this, look for a caliber on the movement, post ID this movement which then can be a subject for discussion on this forum.

Good luck

Being in Southeast Asia I've seen a few of the newer Eternas.. They're usually Hong Kong cases but the movement is a proper ETA. Here I believe its also an ETA from the look of the set-lever/spring, in fact you can see a bit of the date-wheel track on the edge of the plate covering the keyless stuff. Also if you look for the balance-cock screw it looks like an ETA design.

Interesting but not really valuable .. the reason it's pretty rare is probably because its not really good at telling time (as you've discovered!).

Anilv

edit.. up to a few years ago you could buy a NOS Eterna case/dial/band/crown/hands/movement spacer on ebay. You just needed to add a 2836 (or similar movement).

Edited by anilv

3 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

Chances are some Asian made caliber train is fitted in the ebauche of you watch.

No. Both at the time the OP's watch was manufactured Eterna used in house (1429 and other Eterna Matic) mov't, or I suppose, other Swiss.
It was and still is a top Swiss brand. 

Edited by jdm

The watch is from a range made by Eterna in the mid 80's up to the 90's called the "Galaxis" they where available in various versions, this is the first I have seen with a skeleton movement, I think it is a bi metal 18ct and stainless model, if it is all gold it will have Swiss hallmarks on the case and the clasp, if it is indeed all 18ct gold then my guess is that it would be worth the value of its gold.

They do not fetch great prices and have sold recently on ebay for between £100-250 for  bi metal watches because it's unusual it would be worth a bit more but I suspect not a great deal more.