Some People Are Unbelievable!!

Good on you Mark!

Usually it's folk that aren't particularly good at there job that make these kind of comments. I've worked in engineering and have never ever had a problem sharing knowledge with anyone. Doing this I have encouraged folk from different and varied backgrounds to get involved, Both as a profession and as a hobby.

I don't care who you are, but everyone will learn something down the line from excellent forms such as yours. NOBODY KNOWS IT ALL !

• Like 3

Spot on Mark,

Because of the knowledge that is past on we then actually buy more tools, buy more books & purchase watch parts & materials. Most of us are just very keen enthusiasts but our enthusiasm helps keep the supply houses going which I am sure Mike uses now and then. With the Swatch scenario just around the corner the more of us involved the better. 

• Like 4

What a **BLEEP**! I have over 300 free music pages available from my music website - built up over many years - and all I ever get is many, many thankyous from peoplewho've found the stuff useful.

Knowledge is for sharing - not hoarding.

• Like 4

Good ones Clockboy & Will.

I should have said in my first post, that I particularly like Mark's reply to the distrusting and neurotic "Mike".

And in answer to Mike's dumb statement, yes we are more than happy to share our knowledge, and do so frequently.

VIVA LA FORUM !

Edited by Geo
  • Like 3

Indeed.

I do have to point out, just in case it is not obvious, this was a comment on one of the Youtube videos and was not made by any of our beloved members :)

See here

But I normally ignore this kind of thing. 

I don't know everything and I admit that I have learnt from members on this forum just like everybody else and I love it. Only an idiot would state that they know everything.

I was angry when I first saw the comment but am laughing about it now :D

I wholeheartedly agree with all of you guys and have nothing else to add as all has been said: I feel the same. I'm glad this is THE site with REAL PEOPLE not the likes of the one criticizing!

Glad you let it go in the end Mark, you don't need that aggravation and it is not worth to take it to heart. I figured some UFO had to land with one of those at some point...as they say, when something is good, really good, there will be someone not happy enough! Jealousy maybe? Go figure.

I bet that guy in not getting much watch repair orders (and probably no women either)...and his favorite watchmaker tool is a 50 lb hammer: that's what you get from people like that. :)

• Like 1

Good for you Mark,  unfortunately there are always people of low intelligence ( I think they are called scum)  surfing the net and just looking to cause trouble.  If no one ever past on knowledge we would be in a sorry state,  example,  a doctor refuses to fix your broken arm/neck/leg/back,  because you would then see how he did it!  I am more than willing to pass on the little I know about Quantum mechanics should anyone be interested.

• Like 1

I used to work in engineering and came across this kind of attitude quite a lot. I used to find it was the ones who weren't very good at their job had this pathetic mentality. I used to really enjoy sharing the knowledge I had gained over many years with people who were interested and keen to learn, it was one of the very few good bits about the job!

• Like 2

Mark, you are the best mate!

I never would have pulled apart my first watch, last July, without the confidents you endowed me with through your videos.

Personally, your videos have been life changing, and I will always be indebted to you for the time and effort you put into each series.  You have helped me discover a hidden talent that God has gifted me with, and the pleasure and fulfillment I get out of working on watches can not be overstated.

You my friend are one of the few pioneers in watchmaking, using this new genre, to teach and inspire the next generation of watchmakers ... who didn't know they were meant to be watchmakers!

... and Mike ... go soak your head in a bucket three times, and pull it out twice buddie! :growl:

• Like 2

Although my skills with watches are growing, I am in a similar possition to you in the shoe repair world, I also run a forum for that industry & offer as much help, advice & answers as I possibly can. I am a firm believer in helping others, there will still be a time when you need something & through your connections know who to ask. Unless your passionate about watches yourself you're not going to be looking for answers. I commend you on your skills & videos, they make you a household name in the industry & people who write those sort of comments are just envious...... remember "the brightest stars case the darkest shadows" it's something you have to expect at times.

Lee

I've been about but have been busy with work. we had a new roof put on the building & whilst the old one was off we had a torrential downpoor that left the entire building a public swimming pool.

This was my watch bench the morning after when I came in.

post-138-0-37528300-1419001012_thumb.jpg

So that lost me a weeks productivity & I've only really got myself straight & on an even keel again this week. I feel like an outsider reading the posts, but I'll get back into it again now.

Lee

Oh that is crappy Lee - I feel for you.

Had a burst pipe in my last shop, entered in the morning to half a foot of water in my workshop and the pendant drill motor spinning up because the foot pedal was submerged. Why didn't the electrics trip? Why didn't I get electrocuted for walking in the water? Questions I can't answer. Lost several days trading and was very stressful so I know what you went through!

Good to see you back mate.

I was lucky really, but I have a fairly big shop & a LOT of machinery around other trades I do, a lot of stuff was damaged, but as I walked in & realised what was happening I practically dived over the watch bench to protect it like it was a child. I felt emotional the first day & it was all over that. I couldn't care less about the other machines!

Anyway, time flies you get out of the routine of checking into websites & once you're out of the loop of conversations its sometimes hard to get back involved. but we will see how it goes!

• 2 months later...

Mark I just noticed your post of Dec19th

about your experience with the drill and

foot pedal. If the neutral line went straight

to the drill and was not present in the pedal

the water would merely have completed the

circuit and turned on the the motor. If an

earth line was in the pedal I would have

expected the circuit trip to come out.If

it is an all-insulated pedal there would'nt

be an earth. Only an observation from an

old(very old) long retired sparks.

Regards

Minuteman3.

• 3 weeks later...

It's too bad that that there are people with this attitude . This is a great Hobby in what some people call a dying trade . I know that I will never be as accomplished as a Professional watchmaker and am kinda sorry that this Gentleman and other watchmakers feel angry or threatened by those of us who like a challenging hobby and get a satisfaction with our small projects .