what do i do with my mainspring?

Hi All

I really hope some knowledgeable bod/s can help.

I'm renovating a felsa 690 movement, it has a broken mainspring but there is also a brake spring in the barrel too. What greases should I use and where for best running?

Thanks in advance

Sorry, I don't think I explained myself clearly... I have the chart, but not sure if the barrel wall is greased along with the inside of the brake spring.... I've not come across a brake spring before...

2 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

Hi    Leosics.co.uk  have a comprehensive chart  giving all the oils and greases and uses therof.

Sorry, I don't think I explained myself clearly... I have the chart, but not sure if the barrel wall is greased along with the inside of the brake spring.... I've not come across a brake spring before...

8 hours ago, vinn3 said:

"brake spring"?   is that part of the main spring.   

it is a separate spring part that fits between the mainspring and barrel wall, I'm unsure if i should grease everything or not or if i should use different greases for different contact points of the spring. i can see 2 points of contact i.e. where the brake spring contacts the barrel wall, and where the mainspring contacts the brake spring...

The attached doc doesn't state it and the mobius chart doesn't cover it...

2763_Felsa 690.pdf

Probably the brake spring isn't supposed to move so just  were it contacts the mainspring. The latter is not greased at all. Only a minimum amount on the barrel and lid flat faces perhaps, even that is optional. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jdm said:

Probably the brake spring isn't supposed to move so just  were it contacts the mainspring. The latter is not greased at all. Only a minimum amount on the barrel and lid flat faces perhaps, even that is optional. 

2 hours ago, oldhippy said:

jdm is correct. That part should not move. so there is no need to do anything. Just oil the m/s with the correct oil. 

Thanks for clarifying, chaps!

Do I still need to lubricate the inside of the brake spring for the main spring? or is it an oil-less system?

• Like 1

This is an automatic watch. You can replace the broken mainspring with an automatic spring, with integral slipping bridle (brake spring). Or you can use a standard spring with your separate brake spring.

Either way you need to grease the barrel wall with braking grease.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, nickelsilver said:

This is an automatic watch. You can replace the broken mainspring with an automatic spring, with integral slipping bridle (brake spring). Or you can use a standard spring with your separate brake spring.

i would go with a standard spring if that will work.    ive had bad luck with watches with a "clutch"..   i believe it was pattented by  movado years ago.  vin

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nickelsilver said:

5 hours ago, vinn3 said:

i would go with a standard spring if that will work.    ive had bad luck with watches with a "clutch"..   i believe it was pattented by  movado years ago.  vin

Thanks guys.. but I am one fraction more confused now after reading the service guide regarding the mainspring

"Grease the entire inner circumference of the barrel. Fit brake spring, bending it as little as possible, then fit mainspring, oiling it in the ordinary
way. The winding may be checked by locating the barrel in the movement,"

These instructions seem to be at odds with what I have seen re greasing the barrel of a typical automatic mainspring. Ive never encountered a brake spring before and it is really confusing me with what I should do for best results...

12 minutes ago, nickelsilver said:

Back in the day it wasn't uncommon to have a separate slipping bridle that functioned with a normal spring. Either way you need to grease the wall. If using a regular auto spring you won't reuse the separate bridle.

Ive bought a direct replacement from Germany, NOS I Believe. I don't Mind reusing the Brake spring, just not sure what to grease. Also.... Daft question but I forgot to record the direction of the overlap of the brake spring... is the mainspring supposed to catch on the overlap or slide past it?

Sorry for the silly question...

22 hours ago, nickelsilver said:

Can you post a pic or two of the brake spring?

Thanks for your input nicklesilver.

sorry for the quality of the photos. 1st is the brake spring, there is a small peg at one end, just viewable in the pic... the second is the old mainspring in situ.

If I look closely at the barrel pic it seems that the mainspring bridle sits on the 'peg' and it would be the brake spring that 'slips'. is this correct?

What oils should I use to lubricate which surfaces? I have D5, 8200 , some 9217 (on the way) and although not relevant some 9010.

Thanks again for your input.

67808997_485438055582740_1239350969750257664_n.jpg

67292936_411468869478275_7414528383842779136_n.jpg

On 7/30/2019 at 8:32 PM, nickelsilver said:

Ok, the little bump is to catch the bridle on the mainspring. It probably has a "hooky" side and a less or non "hooky" side. It's been a while since I used one of these but seems there's really only one way it can go.

Thankyou nickle silver, much appreciated.