Omega Seamaster Cosmic

Paul78

Hi Paul,

I believe the first thing is to get the movement out and then take care of the case/crystal. You really don't want any extraneous material inside the movement even if you are planning to overhaul it...and please, post a picture so we can see what the actual problem is.

Cheers,

Bob

Hi Bob, the problem is getting the movement out, it's a sealed case, everything comes out from the face side. As per photo, but the glass broke and has left the broken part still in place with the tension ring, I can't seem to get hold of it to remove it.

Thanks

Paul

Oooh! That is not good! If my understanding is correct the tension ring is holding a slither of the perspex around the circumference of the case.

If this is correct then you actually run a serious risk of damaging the dial Paul whichever way you look at it.

This is too late but if you don't have an air compressor then the glasses can be popped off with a nice big syringe (through the pendant tube (I have a video on the channel showing how)). You should never use a glass grabber on a tension ring glass - only useful for High Domes really.

But in this case most of the glass is off? If so then you can only very gently try to prise away the tension ring but it is not a job I would savour, I won't lie.

the tool 105 on the caseback refers to the Omega tool required to remove the glass pictured below , loving Marks method of using a syringe , the times i've struggled in the past and crystals i've ruined ,hopefully got a syringe sorted out and am looking forward to giving it a go soon , cheers Mark and good luck with yours Paul

7120F762-A8A1-4A41-85B4-730349BC60D7_zps

E23CC99A-9373-421F-BC5F-071C9765EF89_zps

the tool 105 on the caseback refers to the Omega tool required to remove the glass pictured below , loving Marks method of using a syringe , the times i've struggled in the past and crystals i've ruined ,hopefully got a syringe sorted out and am looking forward to giving it a go soon , cheers Mark and good luck with yours Paul

7120F762-A8A1-4A41-85B4-730349BC60D7_zps

E23CC99A-9373-421F-BC5F-071C9765EF89_zps

Hate these things - used to have a full set. The glass can still break even when using these - happened to me anyway. Just a caution.

Hate these things - used to have a full set. The glass can still break even when using these - happened to me anyway. Just a caution.

I have yet to try them Mark ,i just acquired them a while ago, the one i wanted for my Dynamic is no 107 which like 105 is missing.

I did try your syringe method which worked a treat ,the only thing was how high i jumped when it popped lol

I have yet to try them Mark ,i just acquired them a while ago, the one i wanted for my Dynamic is no 107 which like 105 is missing.

I did try your syringe method which worked a treat ,the only thing was how high i jumped when it popped lol

Made me jump the first time :D

• 4 weeks later...

ok, so this Seamaster Cosmic was sorted as it just needed a new glass. I have another exactly he same, i used Marks method of getting the glass off (couldnt find a syringe but managed to get a balloon pump for a quid!) now after inspecting the movement from the back, all seems well apart from some rust here and there, but i cant get the dial off. I think i can see the pins, but no screws or anything, ive tried prising it off with a case back knife but the dial started to bend. Ive attached some pics, the movement is an Omega 565

post-434-0-63371200-1421257177_thumb.jpg

post-434-0-77407000-1421257162_thumb.jpg

post-434-0-53337300-1421257145_thumb.jpg

post-434-0-01226400-1421257127_thumb.jpg

If the dial is held on the same as the 561 movement, there will be a couple of very small screws going in at a shallow angle with entry at the side edge of the main plate. You will probably require your smallest or second smallest screwdriver to do the job.

Thanks Geo, i can see the holes, but they seem a little far away from where it looks like the dial feet are situated, and theres no sign of screws in them.... but i shall give it a try with the smallest screwdriver in the morning.