What Happened To This Old Hamilton?

Several years ago I bought a 'lot' box of watches and this old Hamilton was in there. The watch is nothing special, but the watch back has always confused me. I'm not sure what happened or why the back was trimmed or scared or whatever may have happened. Just wondering if anyone has seen this before.

Regards

Dave in Mexico Beach, FL USA

IMG_8827.JPG

IMG_2032.JPG

My guess is it had what the kids call a NATO strap nowadays, a web (could have been leather) strap that's just threaded through the spring bars. Probably gold filled case, once the gold was worn through the base metal eroded away.

What movement is in there? Hamilton had some beautiful wristwatch movements. May be worth having the back repaired (can be filled in with gold solder by a good jeweler).

• Like 1

It certainly looks odd.

It could be rubbing from some sort of Nato strap as suggested (with the caseback rotated 90 degrees clockwise and the "bump" currently at the bottom, instead next to the winder).

Another posibility, perhaps it was kept on a harder metal (silver perhaps) chain round someone's neck, , as a keepsake, or worn on a metal edged continuous bracelet similar to a Nato strap.

The bump on the bottom of the case back is also fairly mysterious, assuming it isn't simply meant to line up with the winder.

Is the caseback actually gold I wonder? If not, then perhaps brazing or silver soldering, followed by gold plating might be the most appropriate way to repair it.

32 minutes ago, AndyHull said:

It certainly looks odd.

It could be rubbing from some sort of Nato strap as suggested (with the caseback rotated 90 degrees clockwise and the "bump" currently at the bottom, instead next to the winder).

Another posibility, perhaps it was kept on a harder metal (silver perhaps) chain round someone's neck, , as a keepsake, or worn on a metal edged continuous bracelet similar to a Nato strap.

The bump on the bottom of the case back is also fairly mysterious, assuming it isn't simply meant to line up with the winder.

Is the caseback actually gold I wonder? If not, then perhaps brazing or silver soldering, followed by gold plating might be the most appropriate way to repair it.

Thanks for both replies. This is the first I've seen this watch in many years. I will open the back and take a pic of the movement. The sides are well worn away and a Nato type strap seemed so out of place for this era watch. 

Here are pics of the movement and inside case back. It appears to have been repaired several times in the past Case back looks like it was brazed or some type of fill. It has many service marks so it was well looked after for a very long time.

IMG_0808.JPG

IMG_9107.JPG

I seriously doubt that to be wear. I looks too deliberate.Plus a person with a watch regularly serviced would not have allowed it to wear so much .It was altered for some purpose and then "repaired".Attend to the movement first, you have some rust issues.then look into that case.

Edited by yankeedog
content
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, yankeedog said:

I seriously doubt that to be wear. I looks too deliberate.Plus a person with a watch regularly serviced would not have allowed it to wear so much .It was altered for some purpose and then "repaired".Attend to the movement first, you have some rust issues.then look into that case.

It is next in line on my bench to be serviced. The case doesn't bother me, in fact, I like the history it tells. It appears the worn areas have been repaired or an attempt to repair was made in the past. I did a bit of research and found it to be a Hamilton Endicott. It was sold starting on Oct 15th, 1938.

the 2 flats were ground on the case back to use a large cresent wrench to un srew it.   some times 2 holes were drilled in the case back for a spanner wrench.   this is done to scrap out the watch. vin

6 minutes ago, vinn3 said:

the 2 flats were ground on the case back to use a large cresent wrench to un srew it.   some times 2 holes were drilled in the case back for a spanner wrench.   this is done to scrap out the watch. vin

But, this is a snap-on case back. The bump is the pry spot and although worn still retains a sure snap when opening or closing.