Introducing myself to the forum

CJM

Hello to all! 

My name is Christopher and I live in Belize, Central America. I'm a UK citizen. Many years ago (24 to be precise) I joined VSO (Voluntary Service Overseas)and they posted me here to establish a course in electricity / electronics at a technical school in the previously underdeveloped south of the country. I have many stories. Fast forward a few decades and I'm still in the electrical field, but  working for myself as a consultant electrical engineer, designing power systems for resorts, marinas, condominiums and the occasional private island. Around a year ago, following a successful project, I treated myself to my first mechanical watch of quality and as a new owner and engineer did an internet search with a view to finding out what was going on inside. The information was compelling and I took the next step and ordered Mark's course after a youtube search. Since then I have acquired a few basic 6497 movements and derivatives and have begun my journey. Logistics are a problem in Belize as a typical mail order from Ofrei or Esslinger in the United States can take 3-4 weeks despite the US mainland being only a skip across the Caribbean. This has proven to be a little frustrating, particularly when I discovered that watch parts 'disappear'. Overall I have noticed with a lot of practice and the purchase of better quality tools, I've made a significant improvement on my first agricultural attempts at stripping down and reassembling the course movement to where I am presently; and I look forward to learning more. Indeed, upon my completion of level three of Mark's course, I plan to embark on the distance learning course offered by the BHI as I've become more invested in horology and feel I have the confidence to go a stage further. I look forward to being part of this forum and learning from the many experienced contributors here.