Citizen One Piece Case

Pip - yeah I've also taken a look at the diagram, but thats the assembly from the underside of the movement. And if you look at the dashes, the set lever ends up being set into a place farther up towards the center, which can't be reached from the dial side. This thing is a straight up anomaly.

Maybe you have a broken or unseated piece meaning the stem removal lever doesn’t move into position when you pull the stem out. Shit happens!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lol that's the problem JohnHutchins....I do not want to have to take apart this watch just to replace a capacitor, especially with those annoying/fragile plastic gears. Not worth the effort for a $60 job. I feel like Citizen made it like this in order to force customers to send their watch in for a $200 service that takes 6 months (in which they will just rip the stem out and replace the entire movement). Shame.

You might be right though, Pip, maybe there's been some sort of manufacturing flaw or unseated piece that is preventing the stem from coming out. Shit does happen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, BobHadababyitsaboy said:

Lol that's the problem JohnHutchins....I do not want to have to take apart this watch just to replace a capacitor, especially with those annoying/fragile plastic gears. Not worth the effort for a $60 job. I feel like Citizen made it like this in order to force customers to send their watch in for a $200 service that takes 6 months (in which they will just rip the stem out and replace the entire movement). Shame.

You might be right though, Pip, maybe there's been some sort of manufacturing flaw or unseated piece that is preventing the stem from coming out. Shit does happen.

Actually I don't think Citizen made any mistake  or is expecting people to rip things apart or want to rip people off. If there is no lever to the release that it's done as Nucejoe said. Heat up slightly the crown first to allow locking glue to give way.

Thanks dudes! I was hoping that unscrewing the crown from the stem would be a last resort, but it seems like the only way. Although, I'm not sure how to heat up the stem & crown in order to loosen the glue without doing damage to the movement. Should I put it in the setting position and use a torch from underneath? All of the plastic parts and gears make me feel uneasy doing that, as they'll heat up and melt real quick. Oy, what a nuisance!

I did one of those a year or so ago, and swore never to do it again! I held the stem with pliers and unscrewed the crown. After pulling the movement out with the stem in, I was presented with a metal plate over the underside of the movement, plus some other complications to getting the battery out that I can’t fully remember. I finally got it replaced, but then couldn’t locate a new white nylon ring for the crystal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

jdrichard - Yeah, I've poked and prodded every crevice and tried every trick in the book (without damaging the movement). Maybe Citizen HQ has some kind of tool, or else they just yank the thing out and replace the movements en masse when these guys are sent in for service.

Gpsluvr - yeah, I'll never take in one of these eco-drive's with a one-piece case again lol. And it seems like the route you went with unscrewing the crown is probably the only one. Now I just need some pliers small enough to fit into that gap (and strong enough to hold the stem).

Thanks, guys!

• Like 1

jdrichard - Yeah, I've poked and prodded every crevice and tried every trick in the book (without damaging the movement). Maybe Citizen HQ has some kind of tool, or else they just yank the thing out and replace the movements en masse when these guys are sent in for service.
Gpsluvr - yeah, I'll never take in one of these eco-drive's with a one-piece case again lol. And it seems like the route you went with unscrewing the crown is probably the only one. Now I just need some pliers small enough to fit into that gap (and strong enough to hold the stem).
Thanks, guys!

I feel for you

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

Isn't there a small leverage on the side of the movement next to number 5? I've just removed stem from the similar monocoque watch with E766. The trick is to remove it from 0 crown position while it is pressed down. At first it didn't work for me because I tried to do it from 2 position.