Fusee Pocket watch

Hi All. I am in the process of restoring a full hunter fusee pocket watch. I have stripped and clean all parts and have re-assembled. The fusee chain is installed and the watch with a few turns on t he fusee wheel works and keeps pretty good time considering its age. There is a fault though the fusee chain flips off the barrel when wound to just over half way. Any ideas on what can be done to correct this?

Many thanks

• Like 1

When you say flips off the barrel. Do you mean the chain unhooks from the barrel. If so make sure you have the correct end of the chain attached to the barrel. Is the hook seated down on the barrel and is well hooked in the hole. Is the hole worn or even the end of the chain worn. The chain must be in line with each wind to the fusee line so it sits in. When the watch has run right down you shouldn’t be able to move the chain on the barrel, if so it needs you need to wind it up more by releasing the ratchet wheel, give it a few clicks and test.

Fusee chain. Outside hook fits the barrel inside hook fits the fusee cone.

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1

Hi All

Oldhippy: Firstly I believe the hook is disegaging from t he barrel and I may have inadvertently fitted the chain the wrong way round. I think I installed the chain like this.  The outside hook with the horn on, I have in the fusee cone and the hook you show in the centre is in the barrel. Is this wrong? I will check tomorrow and let you all know if I have indeed put the chain on wrong. Many thanks to all for replying and giving me your help.

• Haha 1

Hi  All/

I have indeed put the chain on the wrong way round. The word dipstick comes to mind here as I took a photo of the chain showing the correct way as I removed it. No excuses. Once again thanks for all your help.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Colditz said:

Hi  All/

I have indeed put the chain on the wrong way round. The word dipstick comes to mind here as I took a photo of the chain showing the correct way as I removed it. No excuses. Once again thanks for all your help.

Unless one works regularely on same caliber, taking pictures can be priceless, I have always practiced and adivised it. The only time I get baffled is when I end up with extra parts.:unsure:

Best wishes.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not brilliant at doing the vids as I've only got a phone. I will get some kit so I can submit something a little more professional.

Hers a little history. The watch was left to a friend by his father and was his great great grandfathers passed down to the next generation. My friend has never seen it running and it was left neglected in a drawer uncased.

The watch case and chain was totally tarnished almost black. I wish I had taken a picture. I had to work out how to strip the the works out of the case and found the little retainer pin at 6 o'clock which you have to push in to release the works and tilt up on  the hinge at 12 o'clock. The movement was totally gummed up and very dirty. The chrono mechanism which hacks the balance, (the slide switch on the side of the case), was seized. The chain links were also very stiff. In order to split the top bridge from the bottom bridge I had to twist off the motion work wheel from the adjustment staff which is an interference fit. It was a touchy moment as I did not want to damage the wheel. Once I had everything stripped I cleaned all the parts in an ultrasonic bath using elmo  degreaser. The chain was a task, I left it naptha then dried and left it in thin oil for 2 days. Wound it on a thin bobbin of wood to free up the links. After a few wind unwind ops the chain began to free off and I repeated the cleaning and oiling three times. No the chain is functioning perfectly. It is a long process and you need patience but the end result was worth it.

I cleaned the silver in lemon juice and cola. Washed in warm water then buffed with a jewel cloth. Didn't want to get rid of all the patina so left a few traces. Freed off the chronograph hack switch on the case.

Really enjoyed myself and the result was very satisfying.

Thanks to all here who gave me advice it was very much appreciated.

I have a question. Does anyone know what the pendant is for as shown attached to the chain in  the last video. It has a RED and Green glass on each side and spins about the centre. Is it a railway pendant that mimics the signals STOP / GO?

Thanks

Just to allay confusion the video showing the fusee chain laid out, I described the hooks position the wrong way round. The hook with the horn should be attached to the going barrel, the plain hook to the fusee cone. Sorry.