107 Timex Automatic - Before and After

JerseyMo

Ahh.. 1978 - the first episode of The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy was transmitted on BBC Radio 4 (and received by your truly on a battered old transistor set he repaired himself), NASA launched the  Pioneer Venus Orbiter, the Afghan civil war began (and is still going), Jimmy Carter is US president and James Callaghan is PM here in the UK, and somewhere in the world, that Timex came off the production line.

I have one of those I bought from you @JerseyMo off of ebay about a year ago. I love that model. The dial has slightly different writing so I presume it is a different year (maybe the 31 movement?) but overall looks the same. I put it on an olive nato inspired by the Todd Synder watch and have gotten comments on how nice it looks. My wife generally hates natos but admits it looks nice on one. I also looked into the Todd Synder quartz but much prefer the original mechanical.

I am surprised at how well the chrome has held up, both on my watch and the one you picture here. Some scratches, but no clear brassing areas.

20 minutes ago, AndyHull said:

1978 produced some real design classics from Timex.

RIMG0775.thumb.JPG.62e58d888316565b7d43d87e1cc0189a.JPG

This is one of my favorites, and my "Watch of Today".

RIMG0763.thumb.JPG.95a9ce1ba6f2b5b17dcb4310b2397f9d.JPG

It may have a few minor battle scars, but it certainly lives up to the "Takes a licking, keeps on ticking" (loudly) boast.

have you noticed that the case is the same?  By this time the case were interchangable, with manual or autowind.  Only difference would be to use a different case back.  YOu could alos turn a 107 into a 109 and stuf like that.  The only difference is the top bridge which is removable and can be swapped out.  But damn the designer who came up with the f**# forked tounge click.  

• 3 weeks later...

I have an old Timex Model 87 (84 Series) Back Set Electronic watch (965608772) - circa 1972. It was my dad's and has been sitting since the mid-80s. I put a fresh battery in it and can hear the movement working. However, it doesn't tell time. I did the rotary shake to give it a kick-start and it ran for 10 minutes and stopped. The movement is apparently removed only by removing the crystal ... which I have no tools to do. When I turn the hands to set the time, the second hand spins extremely fast around the dial several times. It is very sentimental to me and I would like to get it working again. Even to swap out the movement or convert it to quartz. Any suggestions would be most appreciated. I live in New Jersey. Thanks again!

Timex.JPG

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
On 7/22/2019 at 9:55 PM, JerseyMo said:

Before - and - After  107 Timex Automatic.  This model orginated with a 31 automatic and was later made with the update 107.

This watch insored designer Todd Synder to create a monern version.  Actually quite a nice homage but saddly only a quartz :)

https://www.toddsnyder.com/pages/the-military-watch-by-todd-snyder-timex

DSC01455.JPG

DSC01478.JPG

Hello Sir!

Do you recall what size crystal you used on this one?  I won an auction and I think I'll have to replace the crystal on my forthcoming project.  Looking forward to restoring the one I'll get later this week (fingers crossed).

Thank you!

• 4 months later...

I just picked up this 1977 Military Style watch and plan to start restoring soon.  It runs when laying down but has issues at other positions.  I believe a good cleaning is in order for starters, but would like any suggestions on how to move forward.  I have several Marlin's and another Viscount as well as about 8-10 Timex movements, which I have brought back to life cleaning with lighter fluid and using some Mobius 9010 in the pivot points.  I'm mostly curious how the movement is removed and I'm guessing the crystal has to come out.  By the way JerseyMo your finished watch is absolutely beautiful!  

MyTimexMilitary.thumb.jpg.e064942ec6b72d735673ffa5f7b16ba0.jpg

12 hours ago, gescott said:

I just picked up this 1977 Military Style watch and plan to start restoring soon.  It runs when laying down but has issues at other positions.  I believe a good cleaning is in order for starters, but would like any suggestions on how to move forward.  I have several Marlin's and another Viscount as well as about 8-10 Timex movements, which I have brought back to life cleaning with lighter fluid and using some Mobius 9010 in the pivot points.  I'm mostly curious how the movement is removed and I'm guessing the crystal has to come out.  By the way JerseyMo your finished watch is absolutely beautiful!  

the movment comes out the back.  remove the rotor first, than stem than clip.