Elgin Puzzler

I have a very nice Elgin 714 movement that has me stumped. Cleaned and lubricated. The train runs and spins very well. New mainspring, settings on the balance cleaned and lubricated, Hairspring looks fine to me.

I cannot get it to run for more than a few seconds after puffing the balance wheel. I pulled the settings and end stones today and cleaned and lubricated them again, they are in place correctly, but no difference. The pallet and it's pivots look fine and so does the balance and hairspring. It just doesn't seem to get any kick back to the impulse jewel. (It looks to be fine as well.)

Please give me some troubleshooting ideas.

Thanks,

RMD

Hi The train wheels are all free running,  does the pallet (fork) snap backwards and forwards cleanly when moved, without the balance in , If the action is sharp and crisp the fault lies within the balance area, Is it in beat is balance spring fouling the cock, is the spring concentric, is impulse pin loose , Pallet stones in good shape and not loose, pallet stones locking and un locking ok these are but a few pointers to check before trearing it to pieces again. Doubtless other members will have other actions for you to look at.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hi The train wheels are all free running,  does the pallet (fork) snap backwards and forwards cleanly when moved, without the balance in , If the action is sharp and crisp the fault lies within the balance area, Is it in beat is balance spring fouling the cock, is the spring concentric, is impulse pin loose , Pallet stones in good shape and not loose, pallet stones locking and un locking ok these are but a few pointers to check before trearing it to pieces again. Doubtless other members will have other actions for you to look at.

Thank for the reply.  Yes, all of the above have been evaluated.  That's why I am puzzled with the failure to run.  I will remove the balance today again and break it down for more thorough evaluation. I may well start substituting parts from scrappers as well. 

Thanks,

RMD

1 hour ago, watchweasol said:

Hi Indeed a puzzler, Have you tried removing the pallet and just fitting the balance on its own and using a small artists brush checking its action,  just a thought.

Yes, Been there and tried that.  Not as free as I would like but free enough I suspect.

Thanks,

RMD

On 7/23/2019 at 11:30 AM, rduckwor said:

Yes, Been there and tried that.  Not as free as I would like but free enough I suspect.

Thanks,

RMD

I'd be looking to see that the pallet has good "kick" when gently pushed to one side and the other with the balance removed. I'd also check the clearance between the hairspring and bottom of the balance cock. I would also try reversing the balance jewels between the cock and pillar plate. It's amazing how many times those get switched. Not by us, but perhaps any time over the many decades of service. Good luck.

• Like 1

Well, I just substituted a balance from a 711 I had lying around and it kicked off immediately.  I know I didn't switch the balance settings, but the advice that someone ahead of me might have is very timely.

Thanks,

RMD