Alugilac

Carriage clock renovation

A carriage clock has come into my possession and, not having the necessary skills myself, I am looking for someone to renovate it. I have had it running and it ticked happily for almost seven days losing a minute a day for the first four days and then steadily more until it stopped. It was about thirteen minutes slow by then. If anyone knows someone who would be willing to take this on please let me know on this thread or if you prefer by pm. It’s not a Drocourt or a Jacot and it’s gilt has suffered over the years but I would like it restored.

I live near Portsmouth so would appreciate someone within15 miles or so to do it. Oh and it’s a striker if that makes a difference.

Go to the B H I site. Type in where you live and it will give you a list of clock repairers around your area. Make sure you pick one that carries out all the work on their premises and give a guarantee. You have not posted any photos, so I don’t know what the platform is like. If there is something broken on the platform, never let them replace it with a new one, it will decrees the value of the clock. It is better to have it repaired.    

Thanks for that oldhippy, I have found a chap in Portsmouth and I feel much more confident taking my clock to a BHI repairer!

I have taken a quick photo of the platform.....what do you think? Has it already been replaced?

CCE31FB8-0DDB-4110-9E7D-5E74197A069B.jpeg

Thanks for that, I will pop it in and see what his advice is. Just getting it to keep reasonable time would prolly be best. The more I find out about it the more I think it’s probably 1920 ish......still an “old ‘un” but it’s not like it’s by a famous maker or anything.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.