Question on the video about replacing the balance staff

Hello everyone, I have a quick question on the video i referenced above. At the end Mark discussion about dynamic poising. He shows seven different positions results but at the end  he just has three which is dial up, Pendant Down and Pendant forward(which im assuming is pendant up). My question is are you only supposed to adjust the watch in other positions to ultimately have these three positions the only ones that matter? Other question is what are the most important positions you should adjust for when it comes to wrist watches and pocket watches? I think I might be spending way to much time worrying about adjusting other positions on watch when i really dont have to be. I also know it all depends on the type of watch but if someone could give me like their general rules when it comes to this that would be great.

Thanks

I think this is the video you're referring to:

Mark actually starts adjusting using 8 positions, then does the final fine-tuning in the three most important ones. What all 8 are I couldn't tell you. I only know of six positions for adjustment. Four vertical positions (pendant up, down, left and right) and two horizontal positions (face up and down). These have different relative importance depending whether it's a pocket watch or a wristwatch, and on the wearer and typical use.

It's the first time I've come across PF "pendant forward" but at a guess it's the same as my pendant left. This is an important position (for people who wear the watch on the left wrist), because the watch spends a lot of time there during the day (arms folded, hands in the lap etc.). The other two are also important for similar reasons. Pendant up for example is not so important. The theory is, if you get these three positions running close to one another, you can regulate the watch to run very consistently in daily use.

What the problem here is for your question is Mark's video is confusing. Normally when you do a balance staff you would statically poise first then sometimes dynamically poise. If your dynamic poising you use eight pendant positions usually. So in his video he comments for this particular watch he is dynamic poising.

Then adjusting to positions is an interesting term or as your question is which positions should you worry about timekeeping in? Basically what you're doing by timing the watch on the timing machine in a variety of positions is your verifying the watch does keep time in those positions. 

So for pocket watches dial up and crown up are the most common.

For wristwatches I'm attaching what Omega recommends for their watches

timing positions Omega watches.JPG