Jump to content
JBerry

Mimo Pivot Polishing Tool

Recommended Posts

Thought some of you might find this interesting, a few months ago I posted a picture of some tools for identification, and one of them escaped identification...

It is the below tool by MIMO. My friend who owns the tool contacted GP (Affiliated with MIMO), and they identified the tool as " that it was used for the polishing and correction of the ends of balance wheel pivots"

They also sent a PDF of a patent application (in French) which I've attached below.


B.thumb.jpg.01fc8905f8c4d3e65eaa657ecbb56a90.jpg

Brevet N° CH246044.pdf

Edited by JBerry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting tool. Are there any other parts in the box? Are any hidden under the one marked "Mimo"? It just seems that something, or things, are missing, relative to the patent. I'd be interested to see the side view, and perhaps the other side of the "Mimo" part. Good job on tracking down some info on it. It looks like it might do well, providing it is complete. Cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't have the tool with me unfortunately but I think all that was there is pictured.
I think it is just whatever cutting tool that is described in the images that is missing.

The top part of the Mimo tool is separate to the lower part which is labelled 1CR1, and the top part rotates freely on the base.
The red balance wheel holders are then placed on the top of the tool.
The first image in the patent is a vertical cross section through the two parts of tool, illustrating the bearing surfaces.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Some updates, I measured the  mainspring barrel of a 6498 and it's 16mm. I also tried loading a 10mm mainspring on an undersized winder, it did not load fully. So I answered my own question hehe. thanks.
    • Thanks. A small correction to my earlier post,  it is a Poljot 2614.2H, not a Vostok. http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&&2uswk&Poljot_2614_2H
    • I've been thinking about getting a Russian watch myself. Nice piece Andy.
    • This is the progress so far. The first image is the ebay seller's pic and the description was "Does not start, maybe battery but unable to confirm". In reality, it wouldn't wind, wouldn't set and the scratched up crystal looked even worse in real life (and the second hand had fallen off in the post), but I figured it had to be the twin of the one I already had, and therefore was well worth the 0.99p I bid.
    • Thanks for the correction regarding the movement. You are spot on  with the fiddly calendar works, the first one I looked at, I launched those two springs more times than I care to mention, however forewarned is forearmed, so this one came as no surprise, and I even remembered which way round everything went without having to dig out my pictures of the first teardown.  If you are aware of the issues and take care to do things very gently, the calendar works go back together reasonably easily. I did mange to gocha myself with the keyless works by pulling the crown out with the stem in the wrong position, but I knew I had been an idiot the moment I did it, so I only managed to indulge in that one screwup. The watch is running well, but I haven't attempted to adjust it yet. Beat error is around .1 to .3ms and it kept up a good pace, within 20 seconds or so over the course of the day even without me tinkering with it. I'll let the lubrication settle and do a bit more with it tomorrow. The amplitude is still a little low at around 240 fully wound, so there is scope for a little improvement in that too. The other one runs around 270, so there is no reason to think this wont. I have an almost complete spare movement, including a mainspring, etc.so if I need parts I have them.   That red and gold Poljot on your "About me" page is a cracker, as are the others in your collection.
×
×
  • Create New...