Christmas Project - Tag Heuer Calibre 16 Day/date Movement

I just scored a Tag Heuer Calibre16 Day/Date (ETA 7750) Movement for a good price off the fleabay.

I'll be doing a complete service walkthrough with detailed step-by-step documentation on this one.

Later next year (Lord willing), I'll be sourcing a Tag Heuer: Dial, Case, and Band for it, to make it a complete wristwatch.

So get a fizzy drink and your popcorn ready Bob!!

Coming Soon ....

post-246-0-83624300-1418566943_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Aha, I have just started on my first chrono which is a 7750. It's been cleaned and the base movement is back together, lubed and regulated. I am just waiting on Molykote DX before I start on the chrono module. Good luck, the ETA Swisslab has been a great help.

Sent from my iBend 6

oops! Sorry, I didn't use it much nowadays therefore the mixup with the name. I've already have it! Thanks jaycey and Lawson! The pill I take to remind me to take my memory pill is not working...or maybe I'm forgetting to take it...:)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sad to say my 7750 TAG Movement didn't arrive before the Christmas Break guys :(

I also spent the money allocated to purchase a 7750 movement holder, on purchasing a rare "In Box" Platax Tool, which I just couldn't pass up.

But fear not!  The movement arrived safely, extremely well packed by the seller ... completely surrounded by 10cm of Bubblewrap!!  The box was so big I thought my "Watchmaker's Apprentice" Collectors Edition DVD had arrived  ^_^

I was really looking forward to spending the 4 day weekend to strip and service this movement and create a definitive walkthrough for you all.  But peradventure, I restored two watches for my parents as their Christmas presents, and finished that crazy small AS1012 project for my Mum's friend ... so time well spent.

So please be patient, this will be a massive walkthrough, with step-by-step pictures and diagrams.  Even once I've completed the service, it will probably take me some time to edit and format the write-up.  It will be, by far, the most in-depth walkthrough I've done to date.

• 2 weeks later...

Just another update for those poor fellows sitting on the edge of their seats, and getting hemorrhoids from the long wait for this walkthrough to be posted.  PLEASE, stand up, walk around, and get the blood flow back, or at least get a donut pillow to avoid the pain  :P  I still need to acquire a few items to do this service properly, and by the book.

Here's what I still need.

1) Lubricants

Klueber P125 Grease, which is a braking grease for the barrel wall

Molykote DX which is a thicker version of 9501 - equivalent to 9504

Lubeta V105 Lubricant for the Automatic System

Lord willing, I will be purchasing these tomorrow.

post-246-0-42754400-1420465938_thumb.jpg

I would like to also purchase some "PML Stem Grease W-10", so if anyone knows where you can purchase it, please chime in.

I love quality tools, and I can not abide purchasing the same tool twice.  Tools for me are an investment, and therefore the price is secondary over quality.  That being said, I am saving for the following...

2) 7750 Movement Holder

After a discuss with my international mentor, and his opinion of the movement holder he uses; and doesn't not recommend.  I have researched further and decided on a Horia Movement holder for the 7750-53 

This is virtually two holders in one, and the quality is outstanding.

post-246-0-53299200-1420464991.jpg

Sorry for the disappointing delay on this project, but I want to do it well and do it right.

• 3 weeks later...

Another update to my **cough cough** "Christmas Project" ... yeah I know it's going to be a "Christmas in July" Project the way I'm going :P

Anyhoooo ... I now have all the lubricants needed to properly service the 7750 exactly to factory specs.

I can see why the service fee on these movements is quite high.  The oils alone are a considerable investment to say the least. :unsure:

Here they are

post-246-0-73456100-1422090458_thumb.jpg

Only one piece of the puzzle left to get ... the Horia Movement Holder

Edited by Lawson
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

I have a long weekend coming up this weekend, and Lord willing, I'll be doing a complete service on this movement.

I still don't have my Horia Movement holder, but if I can snag the one from work (if it's not being used) I'll get cracking on this service and walkthrough.

It all depends on the availability of the holder guys.

Told ya it would be "Christmas in July" post-246-0-54146000-1433242356.gif  ... er well June to be exact :P

Two other movements that I will definitely be servicing over the weekend are an ETA 215.262 and a Ronda 715 Quartz.  Anyone looking at doing the SAWTA Accreditation will know that these two movement are part of the course study ... so I thought I'd post a walkthrough on both of them.