What is this movement?

I don't know the make of the watch, but I do know that it will test your patience when it comes to putting it back together again!

Anyway, I hope you find the answer that you seek...........good luck.

6 hours ago, oldhippy said:

I cant find the ID in my bestfit books. What I have noticed with your photo is the Clutch Lever is missing.

Any other members on here that can help Henry. 

Clutch lever = yoke = return bar? Trying to get to grips with as much watch parts terminology as I can!

40mm puts this at a 17.75 ligne movement. This isn't as common as 18 ligne movements but I've looked at a lot of both and come up blank with a match to your movement. [Just to double check ... your first picture shows your movement with a holder ring; the second without so the 40mm should be the measurement without the ring. Yes?].

Tantalisingly there's a '408' on this movement ring but I can't find this relates to anything relevant. Are there no other marks on the movement e.g. if you remove the balance is there something there? Also did the movement come with a dial; does this offer any clues to at least a brand that might point in the right direction?

I'm not sure but there were not many using that kind of quirky setup with the Yoke on the right side and the spring on the left but it was used by MST on like their 15X (154-158 and 139) movements. Maybe some movement based on those?