Spring Wire for a click spring, 0.15MM

4 hours ago, rogart63 said:

Try music wire. You can buy guitar string in different sizes.  Perfect to make click springs and such from. 

Thanks.  I bought the finest steel strings I could find, too large at 0.25MM.  I need 0.15MM wire.

RMD

The finest guitar string is the 'Extra Super Light' E string which is 0.0008 inches which is 0.02032mm , so yes if you need finer guitar strings won't cut it I'm afraid.

Edited by Tmuir

8 minutes ago, Tmuir said:

The finest guitar string is the 'Extra Super Light' E string which is 0.0008 inches which is 0.02032mm , so yes if you need finer guitar strings won't cut it I'm afraid.

You're off by a decimal place there, 0.008" 0.203mm.

• Like 1

You must of read my post as soon as I posted it, as I realised and edited it only seconds after I posted it, clearly just before you quoted me as its correct in your quote. :-)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tmuir said:

You must of read my post as soon as I posted it, as I realised and edited it only seconds after I posted it, clearly just before you quoted me as its correct in your quote. :-)

Ha sorry!

From a discussion a while back on a machinists forum there was mention of California Fine Wire and Mount Joy Wire. I just checked Mount Joy and they have it down to .004" (.10mm) and finer on request; no idea what their minimum order is though.

• Like 1

I have looked at an old Lorsa that I'm servicing and the springs are of rectangular section. In the calendar works one is  0.20 x 0.40mm, another 0.15 x 0.30mm, and the click one should be like the latter, but (thanks heaven) it's in place already so I can't check.

I think the rectangular section helps in fitting and keeping the spring  in place - we all know how terrible these thingies can be. I would also be interested in finding a source for proper wire.

I've just measured some of the generic shepherds crook springs that you can get from Cousins: https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/shepherds-hook-springs-wristwatch

Whilst these of course aren't click springs, they do come in a variety of widths ... including the 0.15mm you need. They're also quite large so should give enough material to perhaps adapt / shape for the click spring you need.  They're also inexpensive so might be worth a punt if you come up blank through other routes. Just an idea... :)

• Like 1