CousinsUK.com and their return policy

Here’s a tip for those of you who shop from CousinsUK.com! Cousins have a strict policy when it comes to returns, and if you wish to shop from them you must approve of these terms. However, don’t automatically assume it’s no use to get in touch with them if you feel that something has gone wrong. In my experience Cousins are always willing to listen to your arguments with an objective and humble attitude. My experience with Cousins’ service, prices, and treatment are really the best!

• Like 3

They're very good generally, my sipple complaint with then is the inability to speak to someone knowledgeable about your query, (generally, not a specific expert) or to speak to someone about the products full stop because you can only call and talk to someone dealing with packaging and shipping.

For technical enquiries you need to submit an email type request, which in and of itself is fine but if you aren't getting actual helpful answers back it's little use.

Examples. I acquired a Bergeon 1A automatic oiler and was delighted as it makes cap jewel oiling a breeze, however, it didn't have a needle, the needle for three old model is no longer listed so I asked if the new model would fit, it took 3 questions to get the answer, no none of the new parts are compatible with the old oilers, (I included dimensions).

As it happens, both the one piece cap and needle either individually or separately both fit the old model number 1A handle.

This answer I got in one response direct from Bergeon.

On two other occasions where I've asked questions the response has been of no use which ultimately meant I daren't purchase the item.

I'm fully aware they stock a very wide range of items and not only watchmaker's parts and tools but as someone who used to work in and train customer service, a few minutes having a quick check and perhaps a rough measure with a desk ruler would make the world of difference if the customer has included as much info as possible.

That aside, their stock and delivery are excellent.

Edited by m1ks

Have the same experience. I bought a part from them . Can't remember now what part it was. When it arrived it was very badly rusted and totally useless . I checked in my order and it couldn't be returned. But when i contacted them and sent them a picture they agreed to give me a refund. They say the buy parts in lots and they maybe have been stored for many years.  Can't check every part they sell either. I don't know what i would do if i could buy from them. Brexit would be devastating  for me . Thank god it won't at least happen until fall. 

18 minutes ago, Pip said:

I've never had any issues with them. Bear in mind on the technical side, they won't know all that much high end tech info as they are a reseller and not the manufacturer. 

Absolutely, but as per my comment, when I've taken all the relevant measurements and asked if they can confirm that the new part is the same dimensionally and I'm willing to take the chance if I'm happy enough it'll fit because that'll be my choice it shouldn't be beyond the capabilities of the staff to have a rough measure.

Ultimately it could have cost them a sale because I wasn't going to risk it with zero info whereas with 'some' even a guesstimation I would.

As it happens I did after the reply from Bergeon.

I've no quibbles about their service otherwise, it's excellent.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, rogart63 said:

Brexit would be devastating  for me . Thank god it won't at least happen until fall. 

I'm anti Brexit but must say there will be no consequences for EU customers buying from the UK. 

Even if there will be no customs union, UK sellers will stop charging 20% VAT on EU  orders, and one may (or may not, depending on invoice value) have to pay it at a slightly different rate, plus service fees, when it arrives in EU destination country.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jdm said:

I'm anti Brexit but must say there will be no consequences for EU customers buying from the UK. 

Even if there will be no customs union, UK sellers will stop charging 20% VAT on EU  orders, and one may (or may not, depending on invoice value) have to pay it at a slightly different rate, plus service fees, when it arrives in EU destination country.

Will probably be the same  money in the end. Only problem is my home country Sweden . They hold every parcel from outside the EU for 2-3 extra weeks. It takes them to long to process the customs and extra fees . That is a big problem. As is now it will take a week or less to get the parts . That is okay.  

20 minutes ago, eezy said:

Am I the only one that has difficulty at times, navigating their website?

Think the website is easy to navigate . Much easier then many others. Some don't even have the parts on the website. You have to ask if they have it. 

1 hour ago, rogart63 said:

Only problem is my home country Sweden . They hold every parcel from outside the EU for 2-3 extra weeks. It takes them to long to process the customs and extra fees. 

Wow that's a lot compared to my proverbial inefficient country, customs is cleared the same day. For my curiosity, do they inspect many packages?

Let's just hope that reason prevails and pray for a smooth landing. 

50 minutes ago, jdm said:

Wow that's a lot compared to my proverbial inefficient country, customs is cleared the same day. For my curiosity, do they inspect many packages?

Let's just hope that reason prevails and pray for a smooth landing. 

They inspect every package from outside EU . And send out a payment for the custom and fees . When you have paid it then you got the thing you have ordered. 

29 minutes ago, rogart63 said:

They inspect every package from outside EU . And send out a payment for the custom and fees . When you have paid it then you got the thing you have ordered. 

Well I was meaning physically opening it. Here if they doubt the correctness of the declaration you are contacted for clarification, otherwise you pay directly to the postman or courier. 

I’ve never had any issues with them. Delivery is always next day in the UK and the prices in most cases are better than elsewhere.
I ordered a wrong item, they took it back without quibbles. I also bought a Bergeon oil pot stand that was shedding paint from the lid into the reservoirs, they had to send it to Bergeon (I think they have to do it with all Bergeon tools) it took four weeks but that’s not their fault.

I agree with m1ks, you can’t phone them. I looked for a phone number but that was for orders only. But they are not watchmakers, their knowledge is probably limited and having more staff to answer calls would inevitably increase their prices.

They do have a lot of stock to choose from, certainly more than anyone else in the UK.

55 minutes ago, jdm said:

Well I was meaning physically opening it. Here if they doubt the correctness of the declaration you are contacted for clarification, otherwise you pay directly to the postman or courier. 

No they don't open it . But when i doubt or if someone from the country has forgot to  fill in the custom paper . They check with you what it is and the value. Don't know if the can  X-ray the package? And see what it is. . Say if i say watch parts . They see that it is a complete watch. I have had parts sent to me from people i have get to know i other countries. Or some i have helped send me parts an other time. Usually send them as gifts . Can be very much problem in the end. But that is the only way to come around the long wait. 

So it's about the same . Only difference is they want the money first then the send the parcel. And take $8 for that . 

So it's not the problem with cousinsuk and paying 20 vat or not. It's the Swedish postal company  that is a pain in the a.. 

Advanced issues found

On 7/10/2019 at 7:31 PM, rogart63 said:

Have the same experience. I bought a part from them . Can't remember now what part it was. When it arrived it was very badly rusted and totally useless . I checked in my order and it couldn't be returned. But when i contacted them and sent them a picture they agreed to give me a refund. They say the buy parts in lots and they maybe have been stored for many years.  Can't check every part they sell either. I don't know what i would do if i could buy from them. Brexit would be devastating  for me . Thank god it won't at least happen until fall. 

Couldn't agree more! EUs admission fees and immoderate delays in shipping from countries from outside the union is just horrible. I once waited two months for three Unitas 6498 movements from the US (it took four days for them to arrive in Sweden) I no longer shop anything (unless absolutely unavoidable) from outside of the union. IMO EU will be needing major reforms to survive in the long run. The Brits leaving is a sure sign.

For the first time my Cousins UK packages came affixed with a CN22 Customs Form <_<, even if nothing has changed so far and will not change until at least Oct 31st. Of course there no Customs processing in my EU country for items from the UK, but this has the undesirable effect of showing the value in the package. I asked their always responsive support and the reply was that they carriers are saying that the form is now necessary.

BTW I found that at least in my country the shipping method has to do with the time it takes to clear customs. For example EMS clears in one or two days from arrival, same for  Priority from the US. Courier clearance is also very fast but I recommend against using them as long is possible because they will charge nice fees for service on top of whatever VAT is due. They can also re-asses the declared value based on weight and other parameters.

Edited by jdm