smiths empire crown release problem

hi everybody  so i have just got my first watch that i have decided to strip and clean. its an old smiths empire. the watch winds up fine and runs  when placed face down. when turned over it stops. the problem i am having with it is i can't get the crown out. i have loosened the screw (too much) but the crown sten will not budge. any ideas. thankyou for your help.

025.jpg

027.jpg

028.jpg

Hi   Just in board from the crown there is a small screw,  The other larger screw with a blue head, is a plate screw.  Undo the small screw about two turns and release the stem. Do not unscrew it all the way or the set piece drops off  and to put it back the dial and hands have to come off. But looking at the state of the dial etc it will have to come off any way.

Hi     Looking again at the condition there is a possibility the stem is rusted in , does it turn both way  ok if so might need some penetrating substance on the stem to release it, a bit of wite spirit and oil or petrol /oil to soften the corrosion. If the screw has undone all the way might have released the set piece which has jammed the stem. If every thing fails you can always dismantle the plates. First Let down mainspring,  remove the balance , then the backplate  that will then expose the crown and castle wheels and the stem hopefuly then you will be able to get it out.  goog luck

• Thanks 1

crown and stem:  if you now have the proper  screw and its turned l -1/2 turns.  press down on the screw,  giggle - the stem should come out.  IF NOT;  apply "penitrating oil" and come back tomorow.   vin

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hi     Looking again at the condition there is a possibility the stem is rusted in , does it turn both way  ok if so might need some penetrating substance on the stem to release it, a bit of wite spirit and oil or petrol /oil to soften the corrosion. If the screw has undone all the way might have released the set piece which has jammed the stem. If every thing fails you can always dismantle the plates. First Let down mainspring,  remove the balance , then the backplate  that will then expose the crown and castle wheels and the stem hopefuly then you will be able to get it out.  goog luck

14 hours ago, watchweasol said:

hi thanks for the reply. i have over screwed the small screw so i will have to take apart. the crown winds both ways very smoothly but like you said it could be rust . i will try some oil and see how i go.

7 hours ago, vinn3 said:

crown and stem:  if you now have the proper  screw and its turned l -1/2 turns.  press down on the screw,  giggle - the stem should come out.  IF NOT;  apply "penitrating oil" and come back tomorow.   vin

cheers vin will give the oil ago.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...