Old lucien picard

billys

From what you can glean via Google, you can see that Lucien Piccard was a quality make, however I can't find anything online that resembles your particular watch. There is probably a good reason for that.

I would guess the watch really is 1940 to 1950 or thereabouts, but there is one minor issue, so far as I can tell, the Piccard should have two "c"s in it, so I suspect that you have a particularly interesting fake.

t6885n6svnijd5.jpg

If it were just the dial that was spelled with one "C" then I might give it the benefit of the doubt and say that it was a re-dial, but since the caliber also has Lucien Picard I can only assume this is because it 'aint gen-yew-wine. It probably isn't a recent fake either, but rather one created at that time.

The watch is probably worth $20 just for the curiosity value alone. I've seen quite a number of pseudo this and faux that, but not a Lucien Piccard (or rather Lucien Picard).

Someone with more expertise may chime in at this point and prove me wrong of course.

Edited by AndyHull
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, AndyHull said:

I would guess the watch really is 1940 to 1950 or thereabouts, but there is one minor issue, so far as I can tell, the Piccard should have two "c"s in it, so I suspect that you have a particularly interesting fake.

I don't think it's fake, but there must be a reason for that. Maybe they needed to use a different name for legal reasons, but didn't wanted to renounce it completely. Someone surely knows.

picard-2.jpg

picard-1.jpg

4 hours ago, jdm said:

I don't think it's fake, but there must be a reason for that. Maybe they needed to use a different name for legal reasons, but didn't wanted to renounce it completely. Someone surely knows.

picard-2.jpg

picard-1.jpg

Hmmm that is interesting. Piccard on the caliber, but Picard on the dial. Curiouser and curiouser. In that case, I may be wrong. It may be a genuine fake, genuine Piccard, rather than a knock off fake.... if you get my drift. Time to do some research I think. 

Wow...

oh-not-much-juet-oening-up-a-whole-new-c

I just did a little googleification on the subject of Licien Pic(c)ard. It seems there is quite a convoluted history there. The brand started life as a quality watch maker, and most of the output until around 1968 appears to remain reasonable quality. Things get a little "wooly" after that, with the recent history being a series of venture capital and shell companies trading on the once good  name, as is so often the case with the lesser Swiss brands. Around 2017 the name appears to have gone under for the umpteenth time, no doubt to re-appear in its latest zombie garb when some other brand leech acquires it. As to the different spellings, I didn't find anything so far, but given the rest of the brand's history, piccard,picard,picccard,piccccard, the choice is yours.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yankeedog said:

There is that five letter word..

Looks like  HB115S, a German made.there is also a variant HB 115. 

1 hour ago, yankeedog said:

There is that five letter word...

Would you settle for albanian made?

On 7/10/2019 at 9:17 AM, vinn3 said:

good score Bill ;     is it running,  is the balance staff good?   i noticed the screw heads have been "upset".   this is not a problem if the repairs are proper. good show, good luck.  vin

Yes its running good , keeping time. I dont think it is a fake. If i were making a fake i would not make the mistake of spelling

• 4 months later...
On 12/9/2019 at 5:25 AM, Bauertime said:

Just wanted to say that Lucien Piccard makes the best looking movements by gold plating them. Just look up some for sale on the internet. I replaced an ETA 2512 with a Lucian Piccard movement for $25.00 that looks like should have cost a lot more.

You forgot to post the pictures ;~)