Hi all

Hi to all.

I'm kind of new to watchmaking. I have been taking evening classing at EFHC for the past year and I'm completely obsessed with watches and the tools to repair them.

So far Ive build up a decent array or tools, enough to service the average watch. I will looking to add a lathe and a timegrapher to my collection in the near future. I was wondering, what is the pc timegrapher that Ive seen Mark use? I quite fancy the idea of using my laptop rather than the stand alone units which I know are very good but I'd prefer a bigger screen.

Best wishes to you all

Johnny

Hi Welcome to the forum hope you enjoy the banter.  There are several PC,based time graphers but they need a pickup of some kind, Watch-O-Scope, tg, PCTM all on the net, I use Watch-O-Scope lite which is the free version which lacks a few features. Is all a question of choice. Best thing is to download each version and try them out then make an informed choice.

30 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

Hi Welcome to the forum hope you enjoy the banter.  There are several PC,based time graphers but they need a pickup of some kind, Watch-O-Scope, tg, PCTM all on the net, I use Watch-O-Scope lite which is the free version which lacks a few features. Is all a question of choice. Best thing is to download each version and try them out then make an informed choice.

Thanks for your help

I have downloaded Watch O Scope and even built the amplifyer twice but couldnt get it to work. It may have been something to do with the components. There are various types of capacitors and the instructions didnt really specify them. As I said, I built the amp two times in case I got it wrong the first time, second time using different capacitors but that didnt make any difference. Is there any other way around this without having to build the curcuit?

Hi    I used a stero amp from Maplin (now closed)  but there are many pre-build options on the ebay.  I reckoned it was cheaper and quicker. I also build the pickup assy from a pizo disc as suggested by watch O Scope.  the set up I have works quite well enough. I managed to pick up a horotec unit which has different pick ups for mecanical watches,  quartz watches and clocks so it covers all bases.  What I wold do is to pick up a Mono  Amp from ebay  Use twin core sheilded cable from the pizo to the Amp and from Amp to PC.. Did you build it from the W.O.S instruction manual.

Yes I followed the instructions to build the amp and did it exactly the way shown. I like the idea of just buying a mono amp from ebay though. I did think about that but thought maybe the build one had specifics about it that made it more accurate for watch testing.

Ill go look through ebay now and see what I can find