Gents, is anyone able to Id this movement please, I havnt got round to popping off the balance to spot the cal. Number yet.

ive tried the advance search on Ranfft but I’ve forgotten how to interpret the results ( ie G00 etc ).

many thanks for any pointers guys.

D4A39DBA-AFA2-4C27-800E-779583966ACA.png

Hi @oldhippy many thanks for the reply, I used another photo there and it’s not the correct one to mine. 

I’ve added my movement to this thread. I’ve had a look under the balance but cannot see a makers mark etc, I wasn’t able to remove the balance completely as the movement ring needs to be removed  and the movement de ceased to remove the balance.

it needs a new balance staff as the top pivot has snapped, also it looks like the click has snapped and been bent to work, I might try to find a donor movement once i know what this movement is.

C54B7C6D-968E-4387-A8B7-13BC12CC1DC7.jpeg

038BC687-CDD7-4583-833F-0C191D4CBCA7.jpeg

235A3C86-CC3B-45DE-983D-FA4479C2F8A8.jpeg

Edited by transporter

The best thing to do is remove the movement from the case. Remove the hands, dial, and take a good clear photo of the keyless work. That is the best way for members on here to identify the movement.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Topics

• hope it helps.  As it seems you are UK based, you also might inquire about a local model engineering club.  Most of what I saw in the video was fairly generic stuff and may appeal to various hobbies centre around machining other than horology (and many model engineers also build clocks).  The UK is the centre for model engineering, you might find that including that fraternity greatly increases the target market size
    • It seems an odd choice, but it may not do harm.  imo there is no reason to use a multiweight oil,  but maybe there are good reasons I missed.  I also don't see a reason to use a synthetic oil, won't hurt, but they are more money.  Regular oils don't break down until 270F - there's some serious issues if that's a factor with a lathe .  It seems a topic full of hyperbole and little expertise; there's one horology oil report claiming synthetic oils don't contain hydrocarbons!   What nonsense..  Multiweight oil are designed for internal combustion engines where there's a big temperature swing.  The low initial viscosity helps get oil pressure built up quickly and makes cold cranking easier.  But the engine quickly gets up 220F or so and the oil operates at its high viscosity (oil viscosity is determined at a set temp, i.e. an oil of X viscosity means its X at 40C, it will have a very different viscosity at 110C).  Your lathe just doesn't go through the same temp swings, say -40 to +220 n the dead of winter so I don't see how a multigrade makes any sense....except maybe because is readily available? In general with machines, motor oil is really frowned on because of the additives and detergents.  They're are needed do deal with combustion, but not wanted in a gearbox/bearing bath.  Watchmakers lathes are a total loss system so these objections I don't think matter much, but its worth mentioning in the context of machine tools and oils. With a 0W20 run a low temps, you're really only going to see the "0".   The zero isn't really zero, its just small, maybe the equivalent to ISO 3 or maybe 4. ( 0 Viscosity is superfluidity, liquid helium laboratory stuff).  So what really matters?  That its a clean mineral oil (i.e. hydraulic oil) and of the right viscosity (singular) So that's the real concern I had, Is ISO 3 or 4 enough?   I'd have guessed no, but maybe.   Most of these lathes don't come with a viscosity recommendation.  Clock oils often recommended are afaik much higher than 3-4 but (snake?) oil marketing, while full of lofty claims, rarely even states the viscosity!   .  I suppose it can be overthought, these lathes seem to easily last 100 years with whatever is put into them,.  So long as the oil is thick enough to keep the parts separate at speed, its thick enough.  Still, i think synthetic and multigrade oils in a plan bearing are, well, just not required.  
    • Thank you Mark that is very helpful.
    • 1970A 200ft Diver just in - missing crown and elapsed time ring. First steps in the restore. Note the Timex caseback tool. The movments began to run on windup but this will still go with a full cleaning and oiling. More to come - IMG_0520.MOV