Trenton Pocket Watch - Mystery

Just received a Trenton Pocket Watch. There are a few teeth missing in the winding mechanism that I need to address. Question is, how old is this watch. The old watch chain had a Virgin Mary Fob that says 1830. I have included a picture of the plate with the Serial Number.3a8e407d941250a320599197334aa3c1.jpg87d8cb88e9473057676bf6c71fabea21.jpgb4e4ac6d42cc8a1d42e939fe21cff789.jpg12df08cec43ba087ec59cc1676e0fbf5.jpg4a3295b6d47a0c7e53ed56ccdd0f9fda.jpgb5cbdbb42ad61f1b43cba117cec7953e.jpg64ed2721f25f5926c0f2c46834d0d1bc.jpg5c8f7870b19ccc334aab6e64175fd535.jpg31d1372a313947dc37751790809e4bc7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Hello, I know this is an old thread but I have the same movement on my bench right now. First PW movement for me and there are a couple of things I'm not sure about... 1) How do you deal with the balance jewels, can they be pushed out with a cheap jewel pusher or do I need a Seitz type tool? 2) On re-assembly how do you deal with the pallet fork, it seems like it needs to be captured in the balance jewel frame somehow? Thank you!

Both balance jewles appear to be pressed in from the same direction.  The jewel in the balance cock looks to be set in place by that flower pattern around it.  The opposite jewel would not need as much retention because there is nothing that can push it out except for it's own inertia.  Proced cautiously, looks can be deceiving.  The other jewles all look to be rubbed in place.

Not sure about your second question.  I have assembled movements in the same orientation as in your photos.

Best of luck.

Shane 

• Like 1

Re: the second question... the first photos may be confusing, that is showing the top plate not the mainplate.  The whole train came up stuck to the top plate by old oil... obviously on reassembly all that stuff will get set onto the mainplate.  It's the pallet fork being captured within that little lower balance jewel cock on the top plate that has me asking questions.  The solution may become obvious when it comes time to reassemble,  but I'm not at that stage yet. I'm probably not explaining it very well

4 JD7.jpg

2 hours ago, IDunno52 said:

reassembly all that stuff will get set onto the mainplate. 

No.  I reassemble it all as illustrated, then put the mainplate over it all, line up the pivots and CAREFULLY turn it all over and put in some screws.  It's a good thing your pallet fork  didn't get stuck in the mainplate, that's how most of them get their pivots broken that get broken during disassembly.

Good luck.

Shane 

5 hours ago, Shane said:

No.  I reassemble it all as illustrated, then put the mainplate over it all, line up the pivots and CAREFULLY turn it all over and put in some screws.  It's a good thing your pallet fork  didn't get stuck in the mainplate, that's how most of them get their pivots broken that get broken during disassembly.

Good luck.

Shane 

Wow, that's just crazy enough to work.  You've answered my question and probably saved me some grief and broken parts. Much appreciated!