can a 1970s TIMEX Marlin automatic be fixed?

Stu

Im new to watches and REally new to vintage watches but i picked up a 1977 Marlin for 10 bucks and it has a gorgeous dial so id like to get it fixed. I popped the back off and the movement isnt screwed in, its riveted in, so i dont know if even a watchmaker can fix it, nevermind for a reasonable price. The second hand doesnt move even when i shake it so it needs work. Id spend about 100 to get it fixed if its possible? Am i wasting my time trying to fix it?

Hi Stu     You are not wasting time most watches can be fixed the site expert on TIMEX is jerseyMo,  Most timex were designed to be cleaned as is, remove dial and hands minding the dial washer and imerse in Naptha (lighter fuel) or alchol and leave on a kitchen towel to dry  then have another look. The conical pivots on the balance wear but can be reshaped and the balance pivot cups get gunged up stopping the watch.  I have enclosed the 1961 Timex manual in pdf some useful information in there.

timex 1961 service manual.pdf

• Like 1

Stu;    welcome to the forum.   there is a complete timex forum, but it will be good to work on this one.   the earley ones were held together with screws - quite collectable.  you should read up or watch a video on "watch repair".    good luck.      vin

12 hours ago, Stu said:

Id spend about 100 to get it fixed if its possible? Am i wasting my time trying to fix it?

I'd recommend that you check first what level of used working watch you can get for $100, that includes many nice Seiko and Swiss. Then later one as you have more experience you consider again what is worth spending money on and what is not.

Another way you could spend $100 a very nice basic tool set, that would allow you to ope watches, swap movement hands crystals etc. so start fixing by yourself.

On 6/30/2019 at 1:27 AM, Stu said:

Im new to watches and REally new to vintage watches but i picked up a 1977 Marlin for 10 bucks and it has a gorgeous dial so id like to get it fixed. I popped the back off and the movement isnt screwed in, its riveted in, so i dont know if even a watchmaker can fix it, nevermind for a reasonable price. The second hand doesnt move even when i shake it so it needs work. Id spend about 100 to get it fixed if its possible? Am i wasting my time trying to fix it?

You might be able to do the job yourself, depending on your level of skill with a few simple tools, and a can of lighter fluid.
Timex watches are generally quite easily serviced. If it needs a repair however, then things might get a little more involved.

Perhaps take a look at this thread first.

Look also at the "Similar Content" related threads, and if you feel like giving it a go yourself, I'm sure there will be plenty of useful advice if you ask here.

Edited by AndyHull
  • Like 1

On 7/1/2019 at 6:12 PM, AndyHull said:

You might be able to do the job yourself, depending on your level of skill with a few simple tools, and a can of lighter fluid.
Timex watches are generally quite easily serviced. If it needs a repair however, then things might get a little more involved.

Perhaps take a look at this thread first.

Look also at the "Similar Content" related threads, and if you feel like giving it a go yourself, I'm sure there will be plenty of useful advice if you ask here.

This is fantastic. I was just looking at the watch interior tonight, thinking i might be able to do something so this is very helpful. Thanks

On 6/30/2019 at 6:34 AM, watchweasol said:

Hi Stu     You are not wasting time most watches can be fixed the site expert on TIMEX is jerseyMo,  Most timex were designed to be cleaned as is, remove dial and hands minding the dial washer and imerse in Naptha (lighter fuel) or alchol and leave on a kitchen towel to dry  then have another look. The conical pivots on the balance wear but can be reshaped and the balance pivot cups get gunged up stopping the watch.  I have enclosed the 1961 Timex manual in pdf some useful information in there.

timex 1961 service manual.pdf 1.73 MB · 7 downloads

im so glad i came to this site. Everyone has been incredibly helpful. Thank you!

here is the shorten version of the "dunk and swish"

- dip movement (assuming you have already removed dial hands etc) in clear amonia  and soak for 15 minutes. tap container now and than to help loosen debris and oil grease. *** let ehe mainsrping down first ***

- rinse in cold water - dry out movment - a hair dryer is fine for this.

- dip movment in lighter fluid for 15 minutes. tap container now and than.

- dry out movement -

- dot pivots with syntheic watch oil -

- oil the end points of the balance - well this is a bit advanced and requires you to remove the balance cap.

- wind it up and flick the balance.... off she goes  "maybe"

What to do if she don't is the long version and lets not go there unless needed.

But before you do any of the above!!!!! look inside the movement for any damage such as a bent pallet fork, also once you let down the spring, try to wind it up agin to see if it holds tnsion. if the don't go no further cuz the spring is busted!  AND THAT IS A WHOLE NUTA LESSON :)

Oh there is a test, written essay 500 words mimimum  J\K

Hmm I think I'll call this the not so short but not the long version of the dunk and swish.  how about we call it the dunk and swish intermediate?

Edited by JerseyMo
  • Like 1