Early 60's Elgin 10K Shockmaster. I suppose one of their attempts at water proofing a watch (see the crystal and gasket in the second picture). The question is how to get the crown off (Its wobbly when pulled out to the set position and I am certain it contains a gasket) so I can remove the movement? Dis-assemble the keyless works in place so I can grab the stem and unscrew the crown?? Thanks.

SM1.jpg

SM2.jpg

Edited by rduckwor

37 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

No way will it come out from the back. Have you tried to pull the stem out? I'm thinking it might be a two piece stem. 

WINNER, WINNER, Chicken Dinner!  You and Gene Jockey, the resident Elgin guru over at WUS came up with the same answer.  I had hopes, but before stripped the entire stem out and ruined the movement, I needed confirmation from the experts.  You sir, are an expert, and a life-saver.  THANKS!!

RMD

• 1 month later...
On 6/26/2019 at 12:56 AM, rduckwor said:

WINNER, WINNER, Chicken Dinner!  You and Gene Jockey, the resident Elgin guru over at WUS came up with the same answer.  I had hopes, but before stripped the entire stem out and ruined the movement, I needed confirmation from the experts.  You sir, are an expert, and a life-saver.  THANKS!!

RMD

I don,t see how the movement is ruined that you say you did, anytime I see no obvious way to remove the stem, I think two piece stem. Never mind that, whoever is the winner can I have the chicken dinner?:bbq:

• Haha 1

agreed on two piece stem. it's a sort of male female arrangement. tip up the movement  and rotate the crown . you will note that the movement wobbles up and down. When it wobbles to its highest spot the split in the stem will be perpendicular to the case and the movement will tilt out easily.