Dear all,

I recently had the pleasure of finding a damaged hairspring needing care. My first! It’s an inexpensive orient watch, gaining 20 minutes a day. I am taking Mark’s fault finding course, and have other inexpensive hairsprings to practise with. I also got some vintage tools I’d love to use. Until now for me levellers were only the Oliver Cromwell people, but ebay never ceases to surprise...

I could pass the first stages of correcting the coil, with two tweezers. But could not find a use for the vintage tools. Could you help me to figure it out? 

Picture 1 is the bent hairspring 

picture 2 and 3 the box of tas levellers

picture 4 is the hairspring suffering under my tweezers now

picture 5 shows the tip of the tools

picture 6: from De Carle. Would this be the purpose of the levellers? The overcoil? 

AB8D3BCA-2D8F-4314-A2FA-8A05A25FCF8B.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

537AD19C-AD58-45F6-9979-C970904D8F65.jpeg

5310C41E-966B-40B6-A538-01CCFA78E701.jpeg

Well, that spring is almost certainly a goner, it would be a challenge for a very experienced person to get it usuable if it's possible. Those little tools, in spite of saying "for all sizes" are much too large for little wristwatches. They would be used to twist the spring slightly, often near the stud but not necessarily, to get it level. Normally one would do this with fine tweezers if there is space, which there isn't always. Imagine coming straight down to the spring near the stud (everything mounted in the watch), and then tilting your tweezer a few degrees toward the balance center, and giving a little squeeze on the spring. It will tilt it toward the balance, 180 degrees from where you've made the bend.

Those tools would be tricky to use for overcoil work, certainly not a something that would be helpful. And DeCarle's technique there is a little sketchy too... don't recall reading that but I don't have that book around anymore.

28 minutes ago, nickelsilver said:

Well, that spring is almost certainly a goner, it would be a challenge for a very experienced person to get it usuable if it's possible. Those little tools, in spite of saying "for all sizes" are much too large for little wristwatches. They would be used to twist the spring slightly, often near the stud but not necessarily, to get it level. Normally one would do this with fine tweezers if there is space, which there isn't always. Imagine coming straight down to the spring near the stud (everything mounted in the watch), and then tilting your tweezer a few degrees toward the balance center, and giving a little squeeze on the spring. It will tilt it toward the balance, 180 degrees from where you've made the bend.

Those tools would be tricky to use for overcoil work, certainly not a something that would be helpful. And DeCarle's technique there is a little sketchy too... don't recall reading that but I don't have that book around anymore.

Thanks, nickelsilver! 

You mean, the first hairspring, the one still mounted is beyond repair? I haven’t touched it. If it is what you meant, it’s disappointing. 

Thanks for the clarification on the vintage tools!

Thanks, nickelsilver! 
You mean, the first hairspring, the one still mounted is beyond repair? I haven’t touched it. If it is what you meant, it’s disappointing. 
Thanks for the clarification on the vintage tools!
Ah- no, I thought the other pic was the first one after some "work". The first one should be salvageable with careful work. But if you've never manipulated hairsprings before it's not one I'd reccomend as your first.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By canthus
      Is there a 'golden rule' relating to relocating a hairspring onto a balance staff with regards to getting zero beat error after it has been removed for attention.  I usually take pics or use marker pen but sometime forget!
    • By Giannifive
      Hi all.  I have a question about the fragility of hairsprings.  I’m completely new to watch repair, and have started by regulating my mechanical watches (Seiko 7S26 and Orient F6922 movements).  While adjusting the rate with a wooden dowel oriented parallel to the balance wheel, I have accidentally lightly grazed the hairspring.  It was enough pressure to stop the balance wheel, but there appear to be no negative consequences.  Both watches keep great time and have good positional accuracy.  And according to my timegrapher the beat error and amplitude were not affected.
      So should I just chalk this up to good luck?  Or could there be lurking damage I’m not seeing?

• By GeorgeC
      I received a lys Longines 5L for cleaning.  Upon opening the case, I saw some surprises under the balance bridge.
      I have outlined my steps on how I uncoil a tangled hairspring in hopes that others can benefit by this method.
      George Corder

IMG_0505.m4v
    • By Mac
      Hi all,
      I’m a new member and new to this ‘hobby’. This site seems to be where it’s happening.
      my very first attempt is with a BFG 866 which I have stripped cleaned and rebuilt. Not applied any oils or greases yet as I plan to do this a few times. However... I have noticed that the hairspring has come detached from the ‘cock’ plate? I cannot see nor find how this is reattached... is this broken?
      Any guidance is much appreciated. 
      Thanks, Marc 
    • By DouglasSkinner
      I need help with removing and then putting back in a hairspring that has a friction fit stud.  I know there is a special tool one can use for this purpose.  Does anyone have any pictures and know who might have made it?  Can anyone "walk me through" how to remove and replace a hairspring without using the tool?  Thanks!