Your very first watch ?

Hi all, was just wondering what was the very first proper watch other forum members ever owned? In my case it was a Nidor Vibraflex 17 jewel manual wind, that my nan bought me in 1966. Hopefully one will pop up on eBay as I have lost the original ! 

Couldn't say what the brand was but it was a mechanical winding watch and on the dial was a native American Indian on horseback and instead of a seconds hand he held a tomahawk which ratcheted back and forth, almost like the motion of a pallet fork.

Cannot tell you how much I wish I still had it. If only as a reminder of my parents.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, m1ks said:

Couldn't say what the brand was but it was a mechanical winding watch and on the dial was a native American Indian on horseback and instead of a seconds hand he held a tomahawk which ratcheted back and forth, almost like the motion of a pallet fork.

Cannot tell you how much I wish I still had it. If only as a reminder of my parents.

I have a similar one but with a cowboy! Somewhere I have a cowgirl too. It is indeed the pallet fork that gives the motion.

My first watch was a Frogger watch, followed by a first gen G Shock. Then a quartz Seiko diver, and finally got an Omega automatic just before I went to watchmaking school. I didn't want to show up with a quartz.

20190625_120239.jpg

nelsonic-frogger.jpg

• Like 2

My first watch was a Adram divers watch with a EB 8012 movement. This was a birthday present and was subsequently the first way I attempted to repair (age 11). Ironically a few years ago my brother found it and I re-furbished it as it runs great. 

• Like 1

First watch was a Kered    from Shepherds of the shambles in York, alas no longer in business. The plus side is I still have the watch it was a 21st birthday pressie, and even better it still ticks  54 years later although the dial has a water mark ,    I even wore it playing cricket for 12 years. 

• Like 1

Pierre Chevelle. gran sport 150. My father got it for me about 50 years ago.A cigar smoker ,he got it in exchange for cigar bands from the Phillies he smoked.Still have it. I just installed a new crystal.It awaits a clean lube and adjust.

• Like 1

I received a Wyler 1162 from Dad for graduation.  Just a simple,  no date 17J.  Still have it and recently gave it a clean & oil with new mainspring.   Not in service yet as no crystal is available.  I bought a PA460, but the inside is too small.  I scraped and polished until it was too big!  I'll order another and try it again...

The original crystal is still basically serviceable but is green.  Honest to goodness dark green.  It had a green leather strap that got misplaced over the years.  Wonder if others recall colored crystals?  This is the only one I recall seeing.

If Dad had just gone down another block, a jeweler sold Bulova and a new brand by the name of Seiko!

Oh I had a Westclox pocket watch and a Timex before the Wyler.  They are long since gone.

• Like 1

I've never encountered coloured crystals, but I suspect you could simply use glass paints on a standard crystal.

I would suggest practicing on some scrap crystals first. Stick the outside surface of the  crystal centered on to a Dremel disk mandrel with blue tac. Spin the crystal, and touch a small spot of paint to the inside center of the crystal with a brush and the spinning action should give a uniform coverage. This might get a little messy, as the paint may fly about.

On 6/25/2019 at 5:10 PM, vinn3 said:

are we talking about round wylers?  the special crystols are hard to find. there were several colors.     vin

Yep.  "Waterproof" with press on collar.  I've never encountered another colored one.  It's Avocado green!  The color was all the rage at that time.  Even on kitchen appliances.

It is green through and through.  I still have the crystal.  Just needs really serious polishing.  The watch has black luminous hands on a silver dial and looks pretty good in clear. 

Eventually!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, AndyHull said:

I've never encountered coloured crystals, but I suspect you could simply use glass paints on a standard crystal.

Standard crystal is the problem.  G-S lists one, but the model 1162 is apparently used on other cases.  I bought the one listed and it's the correct outside size.  Inside is too small and I don't own a lathe yet!

One thing I've learned:  It's always something.

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 2:13 AM, AndyHull said:

I would suggest practicing on some scrap crystals first. Stick the outside surface of the  crystal centered on to a Dremel disk mandrel with blue tac. Spin the crystal, and touch a small spot of paint to the inside center of the crystal with a brush and the spinning action should give a uniform coverage. This might get a little messy, as the paint may fly about.

colored crystals: the color is part of the formula,  not painted.  vin

• Like 1

11 hours ago, nichod said:

Standard crystal is the problem.  G-S lists one, but the model 1162 is apparently used on other cases.  I bought the one listed and it's the correct outside size.  Inside is too small and I don't own a lathe yet!

One thing I've learned:  It's always something.

it must be the wrong crystol.   the inner and outer diameters are critical to the inner and outer ring (bezel).  that is the "draw back" of that watch.  vin

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ro63rto said:

Yes it is, when you press the bottom left pusher, it resets to zero to become the chrono second. Top right starts the chrono.
It has the Miyota 3s10 movement.

Interesting.  I prefer a seconds hand that works for a living!  Always kept me from the 7750 types.

1 hour ago, vinn3 said:

it must be the wrong crystol.   the inner and outer diameters are critical to the inner and outer ring (bezel).  that is the "draw back" of that watch.  vin

Yes. Wrong is what it is.  The catalog lists outer diameter only.  I made an attempt at enlarging the inside by scraping with a knife.  That could work.  Got close!  In my zeal the crystal got a couple of scratches above the mounting surface.  By polishing those out, the inner diameter got enlarged.  I'll try another next time I place an order.

In my collection is another Wyler of the same style with the ESA9150 movement.  I've hit a wall trying to re-crystal it also.  I wish my home town jeweler had sold a different brand!

Interesting.  Don't recall those.

I really was only in the Wyler shop one time.  I started work in the local radio station and discovered what a large bulk tape eraser can do to a hairspring...

The fellow knew his hairsprings.  He UN-knotted  it and it still works but I hold my breath when I demagnetize a watch!