Rotor Removal

Could someone please give me some guidance on how to remove the rotor from this ETA 2892-2  movement. I dont want to go in heavy handed as these gilt movement damage easily. Many thanks.  Chris...          

P1010008.JPG

I'm not familiar with the movement, but my guess would be that there's a (isn't that) special tool that has three posts to fit in the three holes at the top of the rotor. You probably hold the rotor and loosen the hold-down disc. Just a WAG, and probably what you are hoping against. Good luck.

To remove the beaing you need a special tool but just to remove the rotor you just take of the three screws holding the automatic mechanism, turn it around and unscrew three small screws on the underside and the rotor gets loose..
Could take a couple of shots for you if you wish..

Thanks all but the price of the Horotec tool is a bit prohibitive... I have managed to free it with a very sharp piece of peg wood in one of the cut outs and push it round..The bearing is OK its just that the balance needs some work and you cant remove it with the rotor in place.

You really should've inquired about that before you went ahead and undid that bearing. As I'm sure you'll find out soon if you didn't need that expensive tool before you'll need it now. Basically impossible to remount the bearing without it.

I've not taken the bearing out of the rotor because it seems to be ok...A more pressing problem is that now Ive taken the balance out there seems to be no power arriving at the escapement despite winding...

2 hours ago, chrisdt said:

Thanks all but the price of the Horotec tool is a bit prohibitive... I have managed to free it with a very sharp piece of peg wood in one of the cut outs and push it round..The bearing is OK its just that the balance needs some work and you cant remove it with the rotor in place.

1 hour ago, chrisdt said:

I've not taken the bearing out of the rotor because it seems to be ok...A more pressing problem is that now Ive taken the balance out there seems to be no power arriving at the escapement despite winding...

Did you not remove the ring with the cutouts by pushing on the cutouts and rotating it?

Thought I had a 2892-2 lying around but the 2892A2 is almost the same just slighly upgraded.
So to avoid confusion I've taken some pictures to show how to reach the balance and where to remove the three small screws to remove the rotor.
Picture 1 and 2 shows the three screws which to remove so the winding mechanism can be removed.

On picture 3 you can see the three small screws to be removed if you want to take off the rotor without removing the bearing.
Picture 4 reveals the balance, it will only swing with the stem in position 1. Fully pushed in.
Picture 5 is how i guess you check the power transfer from the drivetrain, you have to wiggle the pallet fork otherwise nothing will happen.

If you gently wiggle the pallet fork and nothing happens you have an fault somewhere in the drivetrain.

Screw1.jpg

Screw2&3.jpg

Rotor.jpg

Balance.jpg

BalanceOff.jpg

32 minutes ago, CaptCalvin said:

Did you not remove the ring with the cutouts by pushing on the cutouts and rotating it?

I did that very carefully so as not to scratch the rotor. The rotor removed (bearing still on the movement) so I could work on the balance but when I got to that stage as HSL says very lethargic movement from the pallet fork. So its a tear down job

57 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

Hi Chris   find enclosed tech sheet might be of some use . Lack of power at the escapement look back in the train for a jam (dirt) broken or bent pivots mainspring broke there are many reasons but it sounds like a tear down job  good luck

774_ETA 2892-2NEWSmaller.pdf 2.14 MB · 1 download

Its a tear down job watchweasel...Thats the easy bit Re assembly is not quite so simple.

Thanks a lot for the PDF which is most helpful

27 minutes ago, HSL said:

Thought I had a 2892-2 lying around but the 2892A2 is almost the same just slighly upgraded.
So to avoid confusion I've taken some pictures to show how to reach the balance and where to remove the three small screws to remove the rotor.
Picture 1 and 2 shows the three screws which to remove so the winding mechanism can be removed.

On picture 3 you can see the three small screws to be removed if you want to take off the rotor without removing the bearing.
Picture 4 reveals the balance, it will only swing with the stem in position 1. Fully pushed in.
Picture 5 is how i guess you check the power transfer from the drivetrain, you have to wiggle the pallet fork otherwise nothing will happen.

If you gently wiggle the pallet fork and nothing happens you have an fault somewhere in the drivetrain.

Screw1.jpg

Screw2&3.jpg

Rotor.jpg

Balance.jpg

BalanceOff.jpg

Thanks HSL for your pics..I tried to short cut the work by removing the rotor whilst leaving the bearing on the movement but the lack of power to the pallet fork indicates something more sinister.

Chris

27 minutes ago, chrisdt said:

I did that very carefully so as not to scratch the rotor. The rotor removed (bearing still on the movement) so I could work on the balance but when I got to that stage as HSL says very lethargic movement from the pallet fork. So its a tear down job

That's what I was saying. That ring holds the bearing to the rotor. Try putting that ring back. I think you'll find it very difficult.

12 minutes ago, CaptCalvin said:

That's what I was saying. That ring holds the bearing to the rotor. Try putting that ring back. I think you'll find it very difficult.

Well I won't try until I've sorted all the other problems out. If its too difficult I might try making a tool or perhaps purchasing the chinese version. Thanks for your assistance .