Please allow me to introduce myself...

Hi all,  Brian Young here.  I am not a watch or clock repairer.  I came to this website to hopefully gain some insight to watches and watch repair.  I recently inherited a pocket watch from my mother; it was her father's Illinois pocket watch made in 1911.  I no sooner got it home when I dropped it onto the tile kitchen floor.  As you might expect, it no longer works.  It lasted 108 years before me and one week after me.  I hope you all don't mind if I glom on to your site and pick your brains for info.  

In the last month, I have purchased two early 1900's Illinois pocket watches, both running, and can't bring myself to cannibalize them in order to get Grandpa's watch running again.  So, now I own three pocket watches, two from 1905, running, and one from 1911, needing a balance stem.  Hope I haven't broken protocol by talking about the reason why I am here in the introduction post.  If so, sorry.  I'm not really a rebel.  I'm just clueless.  

Thank you for having me.  

• Like 2

Hi Brian and welcome to the asylum, I am sure you will fit in well :thumbsu: firstly you cannot have enough watches! Secondly, if you hadn't thrown grandpa's watch on the floor you wouldn't have found this brilliant forum. Thirdly, every thing can be fixed, and this forum has some very knowledgeable guy's and girl's who are happy to give you advice without making you feel stupid for asking, (I am most definitely not one of those knowledgeable people) the only good advice I give people is to look both ways when crossing the road. Anyway enjoy the forum and I wish you every success in repairing grandpa's pocket watch.

• Like 1

Hi Brian and welcome to the forum, a fall to the floor almost certainly has broken the balance staff and probably more. the only certain way to find out is to dismantle the watch and check all the pivots. If the watch has a driving chain it is a fusee watch and needs a bit more attention if its a conventional pocker watch get stuck in and be carefull take plenty of pictures when dismantling for guidance when re assembling the watch  good luck.

By the sound of your intro, youngbrian, you are a man of wealth and taste.

As a fellow beginner in the wonderful world of horology, may I welcome you to one of the friendliest and helpful forums I've ever had the pleasure to join. I'm sorry to hear of your slight mishap with the pocket watch, but I'm sure that these guys can help you.

Good luck with your task.

Kev.