6497 Screwdriver sizes

Hi All - Instead of purchasing full set of newby screwdrivers I decided to purchase better quatility screwdrivers one at a time.

What screwdrivers type and sizes do I need for a 6497 movement.

Thank you,

AJ  

What happens with Swiss mov.t is that they make no effort to unify screw sizes, so there are good chances that you will need at least 4 going from 0.60 to 1. 60mm.

Ant the other issue is that when anything new shows up you may end doing a poor job because you don't have the right size. 

So my recommendation is that you buy a set, it does not need to be expensive. 

I wanted to add. The 0.60mm is not is in some set, but it's needed e.g. for the HS stud screw. Your watch of today may not have that screw at all, but the next could. So if you get a set that doesn't have it, get is separately. Cousins UK keeps most brands either as a set or individually so you can match them.

• 3 weeks later...

@jdm To follow-up on screwdrivers, opted for Horotec “Lifetime Series” individuals: 0.80 - 1.00 - 1.20 - 1.40

I understand I will need other sizes in the future but wanted to start with quality screwdrivers as I started with quality tweezers. Buying a few at a time makes my brain think Horotec screwdrivers are more affordable :) 

It’s going to be a long journey learning and acquiring tools anyway... 

Thank you for your input :thumbsUp:

AJ

Edited by ajdo

That looks like a good size of screwdrivers to start with. However, on the other side from the hairspring stud screw, a larger, perhaps 2.00mm driver might come in handy for winding wheel screws. If you use your 1.40, just don't forget that the crown-wheel screw is likely "righty-loosey", "lefty-tighty", i.e., left-handed threads. Clockwise will remove.

Years ago I bought a Bergeon set that runs from .50mm to 2.50mm, and have never been sorry.  I generally use the 2.00mm for the crown-wheel and winding wheel screws, IIRC. Good luck.

On 7/13/2019 at 9:47 PM, MrRoundel said:

That looks like a good size of screwdrivers to start with. However, on the other side from the hairspring stud screw, a larger, perhaps 2.00mm driver might come in handy for winding wheel screws. If you use your 1.40, just don't forget that the crown-wheel screw is likely "righty-loosey", "lefty-tighty", i.e., left-handed threads. Clockwise will remove.

Years ago I bought a Bergeon set that runs from .50mm to 2.50mm, and have never been sorry.  I generally use the 2.00mm for the crown-wheel and winding wheel screws, IIRC. Good luck.

Much Appreciated MrR. Will surely purchase other size as I move forward until I have a full set. 2.00 is now on top of my list :)

Thank you

On 7/16/2019 at 5:10 PM, mlfloyd1 said:

What makes one screw driver manufacturer better than another?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m new to this but it’s like any other profession or hobby. Mechanics use certain brands of tools for their profession due to reliability and manufacture quality.

You can start inexpensive, upgrade to better and finally buy what you should or spend less in long run and just get the top tier screwdrivers to start. (A*F, Bergeon, Horotec, VOH). I chose Horotec (without experience only research ) due to their ball-bearing design but other manufacturers also have their own proprietary advantages. The quality is also in the blades which will be in contact with delicate screws. After, it’s a question a trying and feel what one likes more. Got to start somewhere!

People may agree or respectfully disagree but that’s the way my mind is wired to think. 

Hope this helps ... 

It's understandable to use affordable, but usable, screwdrivers on your own watches as you learn. Most to. But after you work on enough watches that have big scratches in their bridges/plates from slippage, you'll quickly understand why one wants screwdrivers with good tips, and of the right size.

When I work on a watch, I probably use a minimum of 4-5 different sized screwdrivers. Plate screws get one size. Dial screws another. Winding wheels their own large size. Detent screw-often the same size as the dial screws. Pallet cock/bridge another. Hairspring stud usually one of the 3 smallest I have.

In short the set of four that ajdo has compiled is probably a minimum start, IMO. Cheers.

Edited by MrRoundel