Seiko 7002 Issues

Hello everyone, 

I appreciate all the help you have given me!

I have recently reassembled my seiko 7002 watch an there are some issues that need to be cleared up.

Few bullet points below to be picked up on. 

• The second hand stops randomly and doesn't respond till i tap the crystal,  the is ofcourse now causing a significant lack of time keeping. Also, i believe this is because of the balance insertion. When i was putting the balance in, when i was tightening it down, the balance would randomly stop and wasnt very stong. This is a new balance though. 
  • Also, the date calendar wheel slips when i turn the bezel or excessive movement and puts any date in the window.
  • There is a slight grind sometimes when i turn the crown, however, i believe this is because the end of the spine is broken and i am awaiting a new one. But this will do for the meantime. 
  • The hands a slightly bent but it allows enough clearance for turning, does anyone know how i can rectify this or bend them back.  

Hi I take it that the watch was cleaned before reassembly. Including the mainspring either cleaned or changed.  when tightening the balance cock the balance stops or is sluggish it points to a lack of end shake on the balance staff or a bent pivot, dirty or misplaced  balance shock system. All points want checking.  Was this the origional balance being re fitted and did it operate before taking it apart.

the calander wheel not setting could be the detent spring broken/misplaced, detent end broken or the calender wheel settng wheel faulty or broken teeth.

Grinding in the keyless work is usually bad meshing on the crown wheel and castle wheel, but if the stem point is broken off there will be no forward bearing point and the stem will move about causing the above problem.

To adjust the hands , first remove them from the watch (carefully) and straighten using a stroking action untill you reach the required shape.

tech sheet for the seiko 7002A ENCLOSED.

1841_Seiko7002A.pdf

16 hours ago, RyanGreerMcGilloway said:

Hello everyone, 

I have recently reassembled my seiko 7002 watch an there are some issues that need to be cleared up.

• The second hand stops randomly and doesn't respond till i tap the crystal,  the is ofcourse now causing a significant lack of time keeping. Also, i believe this is because of the balance insertion. When i was putting the balance in, when i was tightening it down, the balance would randomly stop and wasnt very stong. This is a new balance though. 
  • Also, the date calendar wheel slips when i turn the bezel or excessive movement and puts any date in the window.
  • There is a slight grind sometimes when i turn the crown, however, i believe this is because the end of the spine is broken and i am awaiting a new one. But this will do for the meantime. 
  • The hands a slightly bent but it allows enough clearance for turning, does anyone know how i can rectify this or bend them back.  

It show all the signs of needing a service. I recommend you find a good horologist for the service.

1 hour ago, clockboy said:

It show all the signs of needing a service. I recommend you find a good horologist for the service.

I understand that the OP took apart the mov't and wants to do by himself, maybe that's the first watch mov't he worked on?
Unfortunately isn't easy as it seems. Especially the escapement is not easy to work on, it requires experience and a timegrapher or equivalent application to verify acceptable amplitude and pattern.
What I can suggest, if one has the patience and will, read the forum about similar problems, that are abundant.
But if the object is to get the watch working one can look for a donor wan't or mov't. Also one could fit an 7S26 or even  a brand new NH35.

Edited by jdm

19 hours ago, RyanGreerMcGilloway said:

Hello everyone, 

1. As weasol said your problem with balance indicates an end shake problem due to a broken/bent staff pivot and/or issue with shock system. But you mentioned its a new balance so iam pretty sure its not OEM and is an aftermarket balance most likely for an NH35 chinese knock off of the 7002. These parts notoriously DO NOT mesh well with original seiko movements. They also come from the factory with major imperfections, I have seen flakes of skin under the balance cap jewel in these things. Best to find an oem or parts movement with a good balance and staff. But this could also be a problem with power reserve and the mainspring, you already stated in another post you had issues with this so i would look into that as well by checking the "action" of the pallet fork. remove the balance and (ever so gently) touch the pallet fork's safety pin with tweezers or preferably a paint brush with a couple bristols left on it, the fork should snap quickly and smoothly back and forth without any force. you should not have to push it or apply force in any way. if it seems sluggish in any direction or you have to push on it to get it to snap then that tells you that you are loosing power somewhere from the Mainspring through the train, or even the mainspring itself.

2. date wheel slipping could be the loss of the yoke spring, the jumper is all one piece on a metal plate so highly doubt you lost that, but check to make sure jumper isnt bent or broken anyway. but my best guess is you lost the yoke spring on disassembly since they sometimes fly of when removing the date wheel under spring tension. this is very common in seiko movements. and yoke springs are always for sale on ebay, and are almost the same throughout most seiko movements.

3. Grinding is basically what weasol said it was.

4. if hands are bent i dont agree with weasol to use stroking action for that may warp the hands and/or remove lume. the best way is to heat a pair of smooth shank pliers or wide flat shank tweezer and press the hand in between them tightly, the heat will soften the metal and flatten it straight within seconds but this will also melt off any lume on the hands. i would wedge it between two (small) hard flat pieces of metal clamp it down firmly with a small C-clamp and leave it over night. thats the fail proof way since it will preserve the lume.

Edited by saswatch88

• 3 months later...

I have a 7002-7009 that I bought second hand in 1994 (it was manufactured in 1990). It still works quite well and the exterior is in good shape but to my knowledge it has never been serviced.  I would like to clean it up a bit, replace all the gaskets/seals, and maybe put a bracelet on it.  Can you tell me where you are getting parts for yours and maybe direct me to a website for mods for the 7002-7009.  It has the standard 22mm lugs but I am not sure that the seiko jubilee bracelet for the SKX will fit on it.  Thanks for any info. 

IMG_2408.jpeg