Strap pins

Hi. Firstly, is there a way that I could search previous topics to find out if I am about to repeat a previous query? 

I intend to solder some 1mm stainless pins into the drilled lugs of a case. However, I'm finding it hard to locate a source for the pins in non industrial quantities. Can anybody point me towards an outlet for 1mm stainless wire, or dowel please? 

Cousinsuk have rods that are 1mm . I have used them many times. Otherwise buy some welding rod in  1mm . 316 steel or 304 would work.  Solid pins 1mm https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/0100mm-solid-pins

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/316L-Stainless-TIG-Welding-Rods-1mm-1-6mm-2-4mm-3-2mm-330mm-/253525155325

Edited by rogart63

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Hi, I'm very new to watchmaking and this is my first time posting here.  I've bought a lot of 10 vintage pocket watches size 0s from e-bay and just got them today.  Most of the balance wheels sprung quite freely and thus seemed like a worthy endeavor as a first batch for exploration.  I've just realized that none of them have any winding stems. Is there any way I could source appropriate winding stems for the movements? There seems to be assortments of various stems selling in bulk on aliexpress, but would any of them fit?  I've read on other threads that some people lathe their own stems (which is waaaay out of my current skill set, which is pretty much nil). Others say that you 'just have to try a few and see if they fit'. I would much appreciate any advice for this matter. Thanks!
    • Nice work.  In the last year, I have been servicing Accutron 218s.  I have the official Accutron hoder that provides electrical contact to the movement.  It is a pretty clever design.  There is a cut in the ring of the holder (shaped like a "C").  When in relaxed state, the holder is slightly smaller than the watch movement.  You spread the cut slightly and drop the movement in and release.  Very clean.  I have made 3D versions of this setup.  Have not explored using it generally for other movements.
    • Double Oooooo   Removal tool? Dreamed of one of these. However, Kalle on Chronoglide showed everyone my system with the pegwood. Worked a treat. Felt so chuffed to be mentioned. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTFrXjiyGKc 46:40 for the wheel removal. Mentions me at 50:00 and does the removal with the pegwood. Felt like my 15 minutes of fame.  
    • Sirius. Thank you for helping others with that information. This is why this forum is so good.
    • Yes watchie , the indirect center seconds wheel. Also known as a sweep wheel remover.  If you zoom in to pullers you will see one plain bent puller and the other is split to bridge over one of the spokes. Cousins have been out of them for ages , they say the manufacturer for them for bergeon is no longer in business. Another company is supposed to be stepping in whenever that might be. The new ones dont look as well made as the vintage ones, but thats standard these days. I know you prefer the old swiss tools anyway.