Hermle 130-627

Mattaphysics

I got this Elgin clock with the floating balance and i love it. The problem I'm having is the balance is only rotating maybe 90° and the chime is muffled. I've tried adjusting it it seems like it needs more than an adjustment. And I'm unsure why the chime is so weak. I thought maybe it was because the hammers were resting on the rods but i bent them a little and that didn't work all that well. It chimed a bit louder but not that much. Any suggestions?b137cea681cd445abd4a61e7d18c42cd.jpg

Sent from my LM-X210CM using Tapatalk

From what I can see it looks very dry I don’t see any oil. Have you let the springs down and checked for wear. Not the best of metal in these, its quite soft compared to movement long ago. With the floating balance, make sure it is clean at the ends, normally jewelled at each end. A drop of watch oil in the jewels, then work the balance up and down a few time, the balance must be free. Clock oil on all moving parts this includes the pallet pins and escape wheel teeth. If the clock is cleaned and the springs, I think you will see a big change in the action of the chimes and balance.    

• Like 1

Hi  Check the gong hammer assembly is free,  lift each individual hammer and check that it drops smartly not in slow motion,  It they are sticky dfismantle and free off.    Remove the floating balance unit and clean in Alchohol or the like,  There is a good explanation on the floating balance on the net by Howard Millar.   I will have a look in the Hermle Manual regarding your mode.  l do like Hermle clocks very well made.  Then Proceed as explained by Old Hippy,  sound advise as always.

Ok, so I've finally got what i needed to clean this bugger. So how do i get to the dial? I'm utterly confused. The glass have any way of sliding or opening on any way i can see. There doesn't seem to be a way to get to it from the back unless you can tell? e16bc7db3a16b23d27ea0f7f31c04b3f.jpg4842b959ba09da2e87a6694805eb95a8.jpge4393b24027e07070bb4146ddf042f72.jpg1574dc39af73a506e5ab79a3579c173d.jpg94a2b4b895b07561c7862a170e4750f3.jpg

Remove the hands and all the screws from the brackets in the back and the movement should just come out.  
There's a piece of glass in the front on the other side of the hands. It moves but not far enough one way or the other to get it out. There's nothing that looks like one piece will move, i removed the chime rod to see if it hides anything but no. I cannot for the life of me figure this out.

Hi  I think Old Hippy is right.  Its what is called a bracket clock as they used to stand on ornate wall brackets.  The top looks solid so the only other way in is from the bottom. The bun feet should unscrew and probably expose the fixing screws for the bottom.    :pulling-hair-out:good luck

Ok so i saw there were screws on the bottom near the feet and I kind of thought they were useless until I removed them and the bottom fell off. Than you gents so much. I'm cleaning out as we speak. So i only oil tyre jewel hole of the floating balance with watch oil right? Then use watch oil on the pallets and escape wheel?

Ok. Now I'm all set but the balance seems off. Like its not aligned or something. It doesn't swing free but is caught during its rotation. Again this thing has me flabbergasted. How does it need to be aligned? I've tried moving the collet to move the roller to one side then the other but it's not working.0d7fa87b9a0dc9f1bf0dee5628694ae1.jpg

Hi  Try removing all power and letting the balance rest then take note of its position like a watch it should be lying central. If it is with a small brush sweep the balance and check its rotation with no power.  alernativly remove the balance assy and check for smooth rotation, apply some power to the movement and check the action of the fork assy for a snappy action. Its a process of elimination, once setup ok they are usually very reliable. I have worked on both the Hermle and Smiths versions and only had regulation problems on one of them   There are some good descriptions on the workings of the floating balance on the net

• Like 1