Anyone having experience with this glass press?

VWatchie

6 hours ago, VWatchie said:

With the tool I'm considering buying, do you know if the die is rotating with the screw/wheel when rotated, as I've tried to illustrate in image B, or if it stands still as I've tried to illustrate in image A?

A1.jpg

A2.jpg

6 hours ago, jdm said:

Of course it doesn't, otherwise I could not have said that it works.

However I recommend that you consider the other one posted above, which is more sophisticated and not so unnecessarily heavy. That original MKS is after all a something dating back to the 60's easily. 

So, asked the seller the same question and got the following reply:

"The upper die rotates when the spindle is turned. The lower die is fixed."

:startle:

So, I guess this isn't an MKS 46610 copy after all, or the seller doesn't know what he is talking about. I did send the pictures to him. See if I can press him to select either picture A or picture B. Getting a decent press for armoured UB glasses without spending a fortune is beginning to feel surreal...

44 minutes ago, VWatchie said:

So, asked the seller the same question and got the following reply:
"The upper die rotates when the spindle is turned. The lower die is fixed."

He means that rotates relative to the spindle. If you pay attention in your picture you see the upper die support being a bit tilted one side, that is because it's free to move, as it couldn't be otherwise.  It's pointless to push sellers for much technical data, they are sellers not watchmakers.
Once again I suggest that you go for the other type, the price in the 1st link you included is robbery and the design is, after all, outdated. 

Edited by jdm
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, jdm said:

It's pointless to push sellers for much technical data, they are sellers not watchmakers.

I must add, one exception is Cousins UK. They know the in and out of all they sell. Today I asked about three variations of a balance complete and they updated the website in an hour. 

• Like 1

I have found this on ebay. The same tool you are thinking of buying for a hell of lot less money. What I do not like is other stuff at his shop looks like rubbish

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Crystal-Glass-Case-Back-Fitting-Tool-Wheel-Type-35-Dies-Watch-Repairs-Pressing/192911532678?hash=item2cea6c6286:g:EfoAAOSw-QBcVz4V

• Like 1

10 hours ago, matabog said:

even a better price on ali

Actually it is a screw type press. Rotating the round knob (or wheel - it is about 6cm in diameter) the working piece descends, without rotating.

The tool provides a lot of control.

You need M6-hole dies, which I suppose are standard.

OK, I'm tempted to pull the trigger on the glass press that you and @jdm suggest, but I feel confused about the dies.

May I ask where you got your dies? Will I be needing adapters as shown in the ad that @jdm linked to, and do you think those would actually fit? Perhaps those dies and the adaptors would work really well with this tool? Googling "M6-hole dies", "M6-hole glass press dies" and similar I'm afraid hasn't been very helpful...

The armoured glass I'm currently trying to fit a to Vostok Amphibian (Vintage Albatros Radio Room from the 80-ties) is approx. 31mm.

Sorry for going on about this! :phew:

20 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

This is a good buy. Strong and sturdy, spring action. 

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/press-die-set-swiss-style

I've had my eyes on it. Moneywise within reach. Cousinsuk.com which I have a fantastic experience with. BUT, are you really sure? It's marketed as VALUE so I would assume Indian or Chinese. I.e. meaning it could be good or it could be bad and if the latter, it would mean starting all over... :unsure:

Tell me not to worry and just pull the trigger to get it over with and I'll do as you say! :lol:

38 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

This is a good buy. Strong and sturdy, spring action. 

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/press-die-set-swiss-style

This set seems even more versatile, but perhaps I'd be taking a bigger risk, and having to wait longer? As long as we're not talking about several hundreds of pounds I don't mind paying a bit extra (cousins) and get something that actually works.

57 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

I would phone or email them and ask where it is made. 

As VWatchie wrote since it's from the "value" line that is India,or China. Specifically that is a Chainda 5500-A, which can be bough for $100 on AliX, Vs. £132 on Cousins. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33014787414.html

1 hour ago, VWatchie said:

Will I be needing adapters as shown in the ad that @jdm linked to, and do you think those would actually fit? Perhaps those dies and the adaptors would work really well with this tool? Googling "M6-hole dies", "M6-hole glass press dies" and similar I'm afraid hasn't been very helpful...

As mentioned,  you need to search on AliX, not Google.

There a few more variants. M6 is M6, they all fit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jdm said:

As VWatchie wrote since it's from the "value" line that is India,or China. Specifically that is a Chainda 5500-A, which can be bough for $100 on AliX, Vs. £132 on Cousins. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33014787414.html

As mentioned,  you need to search on AliX, not Google.

There a few more variants. M6 is M6, they all fit.

Thanks! The aluminium dies look really nice and I guess could be of good quality (the threads in the dies that I have can only be described as a joke), but what if I'd want to use them in the lower part of the press?

When Mark Lovick fits an armoured glass using his Robur press in one of his bonus videos at watchrepairlessons.com, he uses the die (second picture) in the lower part of the press and it seems like the perfect die for the job. I guess I would be limited to the supplied dies for the lower part of the press? Or, could I get some sort of adapter? Dimensions, where, etc. Again, questions arise... :huh:

dies.jpg

dies2.jpg

So, finally, the trigger has been pulled! After many considerations, I decided to order a brand new Bergeon 5500. You can see it here. Shipping included I paid £128/€144/$162. Not a bargain, but reasonable, I guess. I saw some definitive advantages:

* Well tested professional tool. Meaning there's a good chance it will work and work well.

* I can shop individual Bergeon dies for various needs as I go (silly expensive, as always), or shop a good quality Aliexpress set.

* Shipping within Europe so it should be here within a couple of weeks rather than a couple of months (China).

* Seller has 99.9% positive feedback ("Top-rated seller/eBay Money Back Guarantee).

I'll let you know what I think when I've tried it!

Finally, a big thank you to all of you sharing your experience, knowledge, and opinions in this thread! This is what makes WRT such a great place to be.

Edited by VWatchie
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2019 at 8:04 PM, oldhippy said:

Good choice you have made. You will use this tool knowing it will do the job properly, which will give you confidence every time you use it.   

Got the Bergeon No 5500 crystal press and I can now, first hand, testify to the validity of oldhippy's statement  :bow:I'm really excited to own this professional tool.

I made up my mind to video document my very first attempt at using it and for those of you interested you can watch it below. It is, shall we say "an interesting experience" to see yourself demonstrate something in a video. It's hardly an action movie and I probably could have edited out more than 50 % of it. Anyway, I enjoyed making it and I hope you will enjoy watching it. If you can't wait for the "juicy part" scroll to 10 min 15 seconds.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Just a heads up that even the premium brands discussed above can have their issues, I'm sure this was just an unlucky 'one-off', but 2 or 3 weeks ago I recently purchased a new Robur press from a popular UK online retailer, and on its maiden use the thing completely locked up having barely contacted the crystal, it felt like the internal threads were cross-threaded?? Now it will not open or close at all and is now a very expensive paper weight. Kudos to the retailer who was very responsive, but the solution from their supplier that they have proposed is to supply a replacement shaft which I have to fit myself. I'm glad that my press may become useable again, but a little disgruntled that I purchased a new press, but I will be left with a repaired press. If I hadn't invested in the Robur dies I think I would walk away and go for the Bergeon type or a good clone as this has left a bad taste in my mouth.

• Like 1

I'm looking to make an adapter for my Robur press so that it can take the regular M6 type dies (and vice versa), can anyone tell me the dimensions of the male part of the dies (diameter and length).

PS I'm not being lazy, I'm away from home so can't access my press/dies to measure. 🙂

I'll share the CAD files and 3D print files when I design it, as an incentive for someone to get me the dimension(s) 🤣

2023-05-24-08-37-57-250.jpg

• 5 months later...
On 7/3/2019 at 7:25 PM, VWatchie said:

Got the Bergeon No 5500 crystal press and I can now, first hand, testify to the validity of oldhippy's statement  :bow:I'm really excited to own this professional tool.

I made up my mind to video document my very first attempt at using it and for those of you interested you can watch it below. It is, shall we say "an interesting experience" to see yourself demonstrate something in a video. It's hardly an action movie and I probably could have edited out more than 50 % of it. Anyway, I enjoyed making it and I hope you will enjoy watching it. If you can't wait for the "juicy part" scroll to 10 min 15 seconds.

How as the Bergeon 5500 held up over 4 years, as it been able to handle a variety of different types crystal replacements, as there been anything that it couldn't do or you don't like about it, i've ordered the bergeon 5500 so hopefully will be a big upgrade, like many on the forum i got one of the chinese lever ones first, then an indian screw down style.

Thought it was time for a quality lever press, it's just the press i ordered, i already have a set of aluminium dies the generic ones cousins sell.