Thanks Mark! Now I have a problem

barkerka

After receiving a watch from a WWII Veteran Uncle, I sent it out for a repair estimate.. I was shocked the price and decided I need to learn to do it myself.

I didn't dare just jump in, so after watching dozens of Mark's videos I purchased a similar watch from eBay for practice.... it was a real learning exercise..  I learned what tools were good, best, and better.  Which vendors to call for parts, and what was really needed to do a proper service and repair...    Needless to say, I got my Uncle's watch running and wear it with pride.  

It was a long cold winter and I kept myself busy with all of that new gained knowledge and growing experience... I have attached a few photos of where I have gotten... I have cleaned, oiled and timed every single one... taken off the old straps and found original new old stock, or period correct straps to make them authentic.  Some I left with patina, other cleaned up to near minty condition.  Out of the 50-odd watches all but 3 or 4 keep time with a few seconds a day. 

I had so much fun learning that I started looking for more projects by cleaning out the local swap meets and pawn shops of their WWII watches (mostly Elgin, Waltham, Bulova, and Hamilton).. now I have a few extras and I owe it all to Mark.  Thanks Mark! 

Now if I can get my work bench cleaned off I can get started working on my Willys Jeep transmission rebuild....

1883462298_WWIIWatches2.thumb.jpeg.a9fda7f314811cdf1a43db4448171de7.jpeg675419591_WWIIWatches3.thumb.jpeg.4775200be795089840156760a113ee0e.jpeg1366913628_WWIIWatches1.thumb.jpg.84523be22ffbb07f6238ebcd98f2dd6f.jpg

• Like 4

Wow, thats quite a hoard of Military watches, I own several WWII aircraft clocks and a Navy Deck clock, but have yet to get my hands on any military clocks, thats some serious practice you have had.

So that collection was amassed in one year's time?!  If so, that's incredible. Nice job on getting your hands on them and making them run well. Yes, you are certainly in trouble. Enjoy.

Oh, and do me a favor, stay away from the type of watches I'm interested in. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Unbelievable what you have achieved (with some help of Mark"s video's)!

Congratulations!

All the best with your Willy's.  I have a 1999 Suzuki Samurai for paragliding into the mountains here in Greece,, drives like a mini-Willy's !

BTW,I have only a few Seiko 5 's and some vintage (2 with small seconds), but love the Military style watches.

I only can do case-dial-hands modding, but enjoy very this forum!

All the best,

Jo

Collection.jpg